Jens Voigt (RadioShack-Leopard) put in a stinging late attack to take a solo win on stage five of the 2013 Tour of California on Thursday.
Forty-one-year-old Voigt had been part of a lead group containing the majority of the race’s main protagonists after sharp crosswinds had split the bunch. The German launched one of his trademark late attacks within the final five kilometres and built up enough momentum to stay away.
Stage four winner Tyler Farrar (Garmin-Sharp) led home the rest of the group at six seconds, with Thor Hushovd (BMC) in third.
Former race leader Janier Acevedo (Jamis) was one of those riders who missed the split in the peloton, and he hands over the leader’s jersey to Tejay van Garderen (BMC). Van Garderen sits ahead of Michael Rogers (Saxo-Tinkoff) in the overall classification by 42 seconds, with Acevedo in third at 50 seconds.
Tour of California 2013, stage five: Santa Barbara to Avila Beach, 186km
1. Jens Voigt (Ger) RadioShack Leopard in 4-41-16
2. Tyler Farrar (USA) Garmin-Sharp at 6 secs
3. Thor Hushovd (Nor) BMC Racing
4. Peter Sagan (Svk) Cannondale
5. Michael Matthews (Aus) Orica-GreenEdge
6. Jay McCarthy (Aus) Saxo-Tinkoff
7. Alexander Candelario (USA) Optum-Kelly Benefit Strategies
8. Michael Rogers (Aus) Saxo-Tinkoff
9. Markel Irizar (Spa) RadioShack-Leopard
10. Tejay van Garderen (USA) BMC Racing all same time
Overall classification after stage five
1. Tejay van Garderen (USA) BMC Racing in 21-55-32
2. Michael Rogers (Aus) Saxo-Tinkoff at 42 secs
3. Janier Acevedo (Col) Jamis at 50 secs
4. Matthew Busche (USA) RadioShack-Leopard at 1-04
5. Philip Deignan (Irl) UnitedHealthcare at 1-17
6. Cameron Meyer (Aus) Orica-GreenEdge at 1-29
7. Mathias Frank (Swi) BMC Racing at 1-35
8. Francisco Mancebo (Spa) 5 Hour Energy at 1-53
9. Chad Haga (USA) Optum-Kelly Benefit Strategies at 2-03
10. Lawson Craddock (USA) Bontrager at 2-22
Tour of California 2013: Related links