Any rider who can win a stage of the Tour de France must have a good understanding of tactics. Even more so in the confusing melee of a bunch sprint.
What better way to hone your tactical skills than via a game of chess? When Cycle Sport magazine found out that one well known pro rider was also a fan of the game, we challenged him to a match.
You can find out more by clicking on the ‘play’ button in the preview video below.
The full chess showdown feature will appear in the February 2009 issue of Cycle Sport magazine, on sale from Wednesday, December 24, priced £4.
Also in the issue:
* Alejandro Valverde interview and analysis – we ask, has Alejandro blown it?
* Astana – we attend the team’s training camp and ask – who’s the boss? Armstrong or Contador?
* GB pro team – it’s looking increasingly likely that there’s going to be a professional British team in 2010. We tell the story so far, and list the riders likely to be in the team.
* Special feature by Garmin-Chipotle team manager Jonathan Vaughters on the growing crisis in cycling sponsorship.
* Exclusive interview with Columbia rider Marco Pinotti
* Pro riders’ new year’s resolutions
* Iconic Places – CS enjoys the view from the top of the Stelvio
* Pro Rides – Barloworld’s Steve Cummings takes us out for a spin