Ireland’s Dan Martin (Garmin-Slipstream) held on to his fourth position overall in the Tour of the Mediterranean during today’s lumpy 160km fifth stage from Brignoles to Marseille.
Tomorrow’s final stage finishes atop Mont Faron, which could play into the hands of Martin, a very strong climber. If Martin’s Garmin-Slipstream squad can again keep the attacks reined in, the Irish rider could strike at the last to put some time into his rivals.
Today’s fifth stage was won by Yauheni Hutarovich (Francaise des Jeux) in a sprint showdown. There was no change to the leaderboard, with Spaniard Luis Sanchez (Caisse d’Epargne) still in pole position.
TOUR OF THE MEDITERRANEAN STAGE FIVE: RESULTS
1. Yauheni Hutarovich (Blr) Francaise des Jeux
2. Robert Hunter (RSA) Barloworld
3. Giuseppe Palumbo (Ita) Acqua & Sapone
OVERALL CLASSIFICATION AFTER STAGE FIVE
1. Luis Sanchez (Spa) Caisse d’Epargne 7-32-08
2. Imanol Erviti (Spa) Caisse d’Epargne at 13sec
3. Jussi Veikkanen (Fin) Francaise des Jeux at 36sec
4. Daniel Martin (Irl) Garmin-Slipstream at 50sec
5. Danny Pate (USA) Garmin-Slipstream at 1-13
David Millar with Steve Cummings (left) just behind, keeping a watchful eye
Yauheni Hutarovich edges ahead of Robbie Hunter to take the stage win