Malcolm Elliott took the win ahead of Tom Murray for a Pinarello one-two in round four of the Elite criterium series in Brighouse, Yorkshire.
It was the first win of the season for the 46-year old from Sheffield. ?It?s been a while coming,? said Elliott. ?I think it is the longest I have had to wait to get a win. Better late than never, eh??
Plowman Craven, Rapha-Condor-Recycling, Pearl Izumi and Pinarello all had strong teams on the line so a break containing members of all four squads, plus Ian Wilkinson (SiS) and Wouter Sybrandy (Sigma Sport) was always likely to stay away, and so it proved.
Rapha?s Simon Holt made a move with 10 minutes remaining which Murray latched onto, but they were reeled in by the rest of the break to leave an eight-man sprint for the line, Elliott edging out Murray and Wilkinson finishing third.
Elliott explained how the race panned out: ?We went away after two-thirds of the race and all the teams were evenly represented. I didn?t feel too confident ? there were some fast guys there ? so I was trying to figure out how best to play it.?
?Tom [Murray] got away with Simon Holt but Simon Richardson brought it back together. Liam Holohan attacked before the last corner and I was on Ian Wilkinson?s wheel in third position and I got round him in the last 50 metres.?
Elliott was equally pleased for team mate Murray. ?He was really motivated in front of the home crowd,? he said. “It was like a dream, really ? getting the one-two. Nights like that are few and far between.?
1. Malcolm Elliott, Pinarello
2. Tom Murray, Pinarello
3. Ian Wilkinson, Science in Sport
4. Simon Holt, Rapha Condor/Recycling
5. Liam Holohan, Pearl Izumi/PlanetX
6. Dean Downing, Rapha Condor/Recycling
7. Tom Barras, Plowman Craven
8. Wouter Sybrandy, Sigma Sport
9. Simon Richardson, Plowman Craven
10. Simon Gaywood, Plowman Craven
11. Russell Downing, Pinarello
12. Tony Gibb, Plowman Craven
13. Andy Tinsley, Pearl Izumi/PlanetX
14. Jon Mozley, Pearl Izumi/PlanetX
15. Marc Perry, Sport Beans/Wilier
16. Adam Duggleby, Shorter Rochford
17. James Stewart, KFS Special Vehicles
18. George Atkins, Pearl Izumi/Planet
19. Dave Collins, Sicence in Sport/Trek
20. Peter Williams, Pinarello RT