Nikki Harris places third as Sanne Cant and Katherine Compton duel it out for the win in Milton Keynes. Photos by Andy Jones
Sanne Cant (Enertherm-BKCP) came out on top in a photo finish with Katherine Compton (Trek Factory Racing) at the end of round three of the UCI Cyclo-Cross World Cup in Milton Keynes on Saturday.
The lead pair had been neck and neck for the second half of the race, closely marking each other on the crowd-lined and mud-strewn course. Both put in a virtually flawless performance, tackling the technical sections of the loop with ease.
Compton looked to have the measure of Cant towards the line after edging ahead after the final set of steps, but Cant found the energy to sprint up to her and throw her bike forward to take the victory.
Britain’s Nikki Harris (VZW Young Telenet Fidea) completed the podium in a crowd-pleasing third place, coming home 32 second adrift of Cant and Compton. British national champion Helen Wyman (Kona) finished in eighth.
Cant leads the World Cup overall with three rounds remaining. Compton sits in second and Harris third.
UCI Cyclo-Cross World Cup round three, Milton Keynes
1. Sanne Cant (Bel) Enertherm-BKCP
2. Katherine Compton (USA) Trek Factory Racing
3. Nikki Harris (GBr) VZW Young Telenet Fidea at 32 secs
4. Ellen Van Loy (Bel) VZW Young Telenet Fidea at 40 secs
5. Lucie Chainel-Lefevre (Fra) at 50 secs
6. Caroline Mani (Fra) Raleigh-Clement at 54 secs
7. Kaitlin Antonneau (USA) at 1-01
8. Helen Wyman (GBr) Kona at 1-09
9. Rachel Lloyd (USA) California Giant-Specialized at 1-22
10. Martina Mikulaskova (Cze) at 1-37
Kevin Pauwels out-paces Klaas Vantornout to take win in Milton Keynes as Ian Field produces best ever World Cup result
For the first time in its history, the UCI Cyclo-cross World Cup will hold a round in the UK, with…
This Saturday, November 29, sees the cyclocross world cup come to Britain with a round in Milton Keynes