Geraint Thomas has added another fantastic result to the growing list of achievements by British riders this year. The Welshman came third in tonight’s prologue of the Ster Elektotoer, a five-day stage race in the Netherlands.
The young Barloworld pro was only four seconds slower over the six kilometre course than winner Tony Martin (Team High Road). Second was Nikolai Trusov (Tinkoff), just over a second ahead of Thomas.
Thomas is one of three British riders in the race – Mark Cavendish and Roger Hammond are there for Team High Road. Cavendish won a stage at the race last year, and will again be looking to outwit the sprint talent of Tom Boonen (Quick Step) in the Belgian’s first race after the news broke of his cocaine positive.
STER ELEKTROTOER PROLOGUE: RESULTS
1. Tony Martin (Ger) High Road 6km in 7-20.74
2. Nikolai Trusov (Rus) Tinkoff at 2.45
3. Geraint Thomas (GB) Barloworld at 3.83
24. Mark Cavendish (GB) High Road at 20.72
32. Roger Hammond (GB) High Road at 22.31