Bradley Wiggins (Garmin-Slipstream) finished fifth in Tuesday’s second stage of the Jayco Herald Sun Tour in Australia, and now lies fifth overall in the race.
After placing fourth in the opening round, Wiggins came home three seconds behind stage winner and team-mate Chris Sutton.
Jonathan Cantwell (Fly V Australia) continued his run of good form to place second behind Sutton, with Matthew Wilson (Jayco Australia National Team) in third. Cantwell now leads the race overall, with Sutton in second place three seconds behind.
Wiggins is 28 seconds behind Cantwell in the overall classification. It’s early days, but if the British rider manages to maintain his overall position and then puts in a good ride in Friday’s decisive 10km individual time trial, he could be on course for a podium position in Melbourne on Saturday.
British Rapha-Condor riders Matt Cronshaw and Ben Greenwood both failed to finish the second stage, and now drop out of the race. The squad’s Simon Richardson is a creditable 16th overall.
The UCI 2.1-ranked Jayco Herald Sun Tour runs from October 11-17 and includes four road stages, one individual time trial and a finishing criterium in Melbourne on Saturday, October 17.
Jayco Herald Sun Tour 2009: Colac-Warrnambool, 141km
1. Chris Sutton (Aus) Garmin-Slipstream in 3-33-44
2. Jonathan Cantwell (Aus) Fly V Australia
3. Matthew Wilson (Aus) Jayco Australia
4. David Pell (Aus) Savings & Loans at same time
5. Bradley Wiggins (GB) Garmin-Slipstream at 3sec
6. Svein Tuft (Can) Garmin-Slipstream at 9sec
7. Philip Zajicek (Aus) Fly V Australia at 56sec
8. David Tanner (Aus) Rock Racing at 57sec
9. Aaron Kemps (Aus) Rock Racing at 1-01
10. Ben Jacques-Maynes (USA) Bissell at same time
Overal classification after stage two
1. Jonathan Cantwell (Aus) Fly V Australia in 7-15-17
2. Chris Sutton (Aus) Garmin-Slipstream at 3sec
3. Matthew Wilson (Aus) Jayco Australia at 19sec
4. David Pell (Aus) Savings & Loans at 25sec
5. Bradley Wiggins (GB) Garmin-Slipstream at 28sec
6. Svein Tuft (Can) Garmin-Slipstream at 46sec
7. Jaan Kirsipuu (Est) LeTua at 1-16
8. Philip Zajicek (Aus) Fly V Australia at 1-21
9. David Tanner (Aus) Rock Racing at 1-22
10. Nick Aitken (Aus) Jayco Australia at 1-25