British cyclo-cross national champion Helen Wyman (Swift Racing) came sixth at the weekend’s World Cup round held in Pijnacker, Netherlands.
Wyman was 52 seconds adrift of round winner Hanka Kupfernagel. This is the German’s second victory in the 2008 competition, which means she now leads overall after three events. Wyman now lies tenth overall.
Wyman’s compatriot and team-mate Gabby Day placed a creditable 17th on the rain-soaked course that saw all rider and their machines getting thoroughly caked in mud. Britain’s other competitor, Nikki Harris, placed 23rd.
BOOM IN THE MUD
Lars Boom (Rabobank) won the men’s event ahead of Niels Albert (Palmans), followed by cyclo-cross stalwarts Sven Nys (Landbouwkrediet) and Bart Wellens (Fidea) behind.
Albert leads the world cup standings, with Nys in second place. Round winner Boom is in third. Six rounds remain in the competition.
CYCLO-CROSS WORLD CUP ROUND 3: WOMEN’S RESULTS
1. Hanka Kupfernagel (Ger) in 36min 21secs
2. Katherine Compton (USA) at 8secs
3. Katerina Nash (Cze) at 28secs
4. Saskia Elemans (Ned) Team Flexpoint at 34secs
5. Daphny Van Den Brand (Ned) at 44secs
6. Helen Wyman (GB) Swift Racing at 52secs
7. Veerle Ingels (Bel) at 1-05
8. Pavla Havlikova (Cze) at 1-13
9. Sanne Cant (Bel) at 1-42
10. Christel Ferrier-Bruneau (Fra) Team Lot-Et-Garonne at 1-43
17. Gabby Day (GB) Swift Racing at 3-09
23. Nikki Harris (GB) at 4-19
CYCLO-CROSS WORLD CUP ROUND 3: MEN’S RESULTS
1. Lars Boom (Ned) Rabobank 1hour 2min 30secs
2. Niels Albert (Bel) Palmans at 6secs
3. Sven Nys (Bel) Landbouwkrediet-Tonissteiner at 34secs
4. Bart Wellens (Bel) Fidea Cycling Team at 38secs
5. Sven Vanthourenhout (Bel) Sunweb Pro Job at 56secs
6. Richard Groenendaal (Ned) at 1-07
7. Kevin Pauwels (Bel) Fidea Cycling Team at 1-10
8. Francis Mourey (Fra) Française Des Jeux at 1-11
9. Klaas Vantornout (Bel) Sunweb Pro Job at 1-27
10. Enrico Franzoi (Ita) Liquigas at 1-30
Wyman and Day (behind) take to the mud
Helen Wyman and Gabby Day
Niels Albert and Lars Boom in the mud
Lars Boom wins