British riders Helen Wyman and Nikki Harris placed second and third behind American Katherine Compton in the second round of the UCI Cyclo-Cross World Cup in Plzen, Czech Republic, on Sunday.
The trio were part of a lead group of seven riders in the women’s race before Compton moved away on the last lap. Wyman chased hard, but was unable to regain contact with the American, who now moves into the overall World Cup lead. Harris came in for third. Fellow Brit Gabriella Day placed ninth.
Wyman, Harris and Day are now third, fourth and ninth respectively in the World Cup standings with six rounds remaining.
World Champion Niels Albert soloed to win the men’s race ahead of Sunweb-Revor duo Klaas Vantornout and Kevin Pauwels for an all-Belgian podium. British rider Ian Field placed 35th, six minutes and 55 seconds behind Albert.
The next round of the UCI Cyclo-cross World Cup takes places in Koksijde Belgium, on November 24.
Plzen Cyclo-Cross World Cup: Elite women
1. Katherine Compton (USA) Trek Cyclocross Collective in 41-18
2. Helen Wyman (GBr) Kona at 15 secs
3. Nikki Harris (GBr) Young Telenet-Fidea at 29 secs
4. Sanne Van Paassen (Ned) Rabobank at 30 secs
5. Hanka Kupfernagel (Ger) Rusvelo at 32 secs
9. Gabriella Day (GBr) Rapha-Focus at 1-59
1. Niels Albert (Bel) BKCP-Powerplus in 1-08-26
2. Klaas Vantornout (Bel) Sunweb-Revor at 36 secs
3. Kevin Pauwels (Bel) Sunweb-Revor at 45 secs
4. Tom Meeusen (Bel) Telenet-Fidea at 54 secs
5. Bart Wellens (Bel) Telenet-Fidea at 1-09
35. Ian Field (GBr) Hargroves Cycles at 6-55
Niels Albert solos to win the men’s race
Katherine Compton wins the women’s event
British riders Helen Wyman (left) and Nikki Harris (right) flank women’s winner Katherine Compton