Bennati took advantage of some disorganised sprint trains in the final kilometre, turning the final corner and holding his sprint to the line to win ahead of Bert Van Lerberghe (Topsport Vlaanderen-Baloise) and Juan Jose Lobato (Movistar).
With eight kilometres to go, the breakaway still had a gap of nearly a minute on the chasing pack, with that deficit barely reduced in the following few kilometres.
With 2,000m to go, though, the front four, which consisted of Jerome Baugnies (Wanty-Groupe Gobert), Evgeny Shalunov (Gazprom-RusVelo), Marcin Mrozek (CCC Sprandi) and Imanol Estevez (Euskadi), were swallowed up by the pack.
With a pretty technical final kilometre, Van Lerberghe opened his sprint as he turned the final corner but could not hold off Tinkoff’s veteran Italian, who took his first win of the season.
Vuelta a Andalucia Ruta Cyclista del Sol stage one, Almonaster la Real – Sevilla (165.2km)
1. Daniele Bennati (Ita) Tinkoff, 3-56-02
2. Bert Van Lerberghe (Bel) Topsport Vlaanderen, st
3. Juan Jose Lobato (Esp) Movistar, st
4. Oscar Gatto (Ita) Tinkoff, st
5. Gijs Van Hoecke (Bel) Topsport Vlaanderen, st
6. Nacer Bouhanni (Fra) Cofidis, st
7. Reto Hollenstein (Swi) IAM Cycling, st
8. Raymond Kreder (Ned) Roompot-Oranje Peloton, st
9. Tosh Van der Sande (Bel) Lotto-Soudal, st
10. David Tenner (Aus) IAM Cycling, st