One by one, Ian Stannard picked off the three Etixx-Quick-Step riders who went in the decisive break with him, and Twitter was flooded with great reactions from around the world.
Here’s a selection that caught our eye.
>> Struggling to get to the shops try 6 issues of Cycling Weekly magazine for just £6 delivered to your door <<
1. David Millar reminded everyone how Stannard recovered from his Ghent-Wevelgem crash last year. Out of the ditch and back onto the podium, less than a year after breaking his back.
2. Dougie Horner has a plan for Stannard’s retirement nest egg.
3. Richard Moore, who took a look behind the scenes of Stannard’s win for Cycling Weekly, gave away the Sky man’s best tactic.
4. Stannard beat three Etixx-Quick-Step riders in the final kilometres to take the win, which may have led to a bit of friction in the Belgian team…
5. Spot the difference in the reactions of the two teams.
6. MTN-Qhubeka, who gained a wildcard for Paris-Roubaix last week, were also suitably impressed.
7. The Team Sky WAGS react to the win.
8. Then there were some slightly more surreal tweets from across The Pond.