Lizzie Armitstead (Boels Dolmans) took victory at the Philadelphia International Cycling Classic on Sunday June 7, a victory that also moves her into the lead in this season’s World Cup.
The British rider started the day in support of teammate Evelyn Stevens, but after Stevens was left out of position as the peloton hit the day’s final climb, Armitstead took charge and out-sprinted Elisa Longo Boghini (Wiggle-Honda) to win on the day.
Before the Philadelphia stage, the World Cup was being led by Anna van der Breggen (Rabo-Liv) with Annemiek van Vleuten (Bigla) sitting second. However, neither rider took the start which allowed Armitstead to leapfrog them in the standings with her win.
Armitstead’s attentions will now turn back to the UK, where she will line-up for the British National Championships in Lincoln on June 28 in the hope of regaining the jersey she relinquished in 2014.
Beyond that, she has made no secret of her intention to win the World Championship road race later this year, after a disappointing outing in Spain last September. As such, she used her time in the USA to visit this year’s parcours in Richmond, Virginia. A trip Mark Cavendish has also made.
Philadelphia International Cycling Classic: Philadelphia to Philadelphia, 118.2km
1. Lizzie Armitstead (GBr) Boels-Dolmans, 02:58:01
2. Elisa Longo Borghini (Ita) Wiggle-Honda, same time
3. Alena Amialiusik (Bel) Velocio-SRAM, st
4. Shelley Olds (USA) Bigla, st
5. Coryn Rivera (USA) UnitedHealthcare, at 3 seconds
6. Evelyn Stevens (USA) Boels-Dolman, at 5 seconds
7. Leah Kirchmann (Can) Optum p/b Kelly Benefit Strategies, st
8. Lex Albretch (Can) Optum p/b Kelly Benefit Strategies, st
9. Maria Giulia Confalonieri (Ita) Alé Cipollini, st
10. Brianna Walle (USA) Optum p/b Kelly Benefit Strategies, at 12 seconds
Women’s World Cup standings after six rounds
1. Lizzie Armitstead (GBr) Boels-Dolmans, 315 points
2. Elisa Longo Borghini (Ita) Wiggle-Honda, 296
3. Anna van der Breggen (Rabo-Liv), 290
4. Annemiek van Vleuten (Bigla), 226
5. Alena Amialiusik (Bel) Velocio-SRAM, 225
6. Jolien D’Hoore (Bel) Wiggle-Honda, 220
7. Pauline Ferrand Prevot (Fra) Rabo-Liv, 175
8. Shelley Olds (USA) Bigla, 140
9. Girogia Bronzini (Ita) Wiggle-Honda, 130
10. Elena Cecchini (Ita) Lotto-Soudal, 122