Cyclists and Twitter is often a fantastic combination, allowing the fans a behind the scenes look at what goes on in the professional peloton. Here’s some of the tweets that caught our eye this week, including ones from Mark Cavendish, Lizzie Armitstead and a hospital-bound Alex Dowsett.
1. Etixx-QuickStep sprinter Mark Cavendish went out for a ride with Essex native Alex Dowsett on Tuesday. It did not end well for the Movistar rider, who later broke his collarbone.
>> Save up to 31% with a magazine subscription. Enjoy the luxury of home delivery and never miss an issue <<
2. After the accident, Dowsett found himself in the Royal London Hospital, where he took to Twitter to ease some of his boredom. Good to see his sense of humour remained intact, despite his dream of breaking the hour record potentially slipping away.
3. Elsewhere, it was revealed that Katie Archibald leads an exciting life. Cycling, eating and sleeping. Sounds perfect!
4. It’s good to know that this Cycling Weekly reporter wasn’t the only one to forget about a bottle of water in his bag at the airport. Ted King sounds like he got a going-over by security too.
6. Lizzie Armitstead showed off her new Boels-Dolmans kit and her colourful Specialized S-Works. It looks pretty sweet.
8. Maxime Monfort must be getting used to spending his birthday away from his family. The Lotto-Soudal rider celebrated his 32nd birthday on Wednesday.
9. New Team Sky sprinter Elia Viviani, a spitting image for impressionist Alistair McGowan, shows off his new Pinarello time trial bike.