Juan Jose Lobato surged past Orica GreenEdge’s Daryl Impey in the closing stages of the route into Stirling, in a stage where Team Sky’s Richie Porte kept his GC hopes alive with a seventh-place finish.
>> Save up to 31% with a magazine subscription. Enjoy the luxury of home delivery and never miss an issue <<
Impey looked sure to take the win, but a late push by the Movistar rider saw him fly past the South African, as well as home favourite Cadel Evans, who came home in fifth place.
Movistar were well represented in the final bunch sprint, with Gorka Izagirre beating Giant-Alpecin’s Tom Dumoulin for third place.
Tour Down Under 2015, stage two: Unley to Stirling, 150.5km
1. Juan Jose Lobato (Spa) Movistar 3-42-24
2. Daryl Impey (RSA) Orica-GreenEdge
3. Gorka Izagirre Insausti (Spa) Movistar
4. Tom Dumoulin (Ned) Giant-Alpecin
5. Cadel Evans (Aus) BMC
6. Luis León Sánchez Gil (Spa) Astana
7. Richie Porte (Aus) Sky
8. Niccolò Bonifazio (Ita) Lampre-Merida
9. Nathan Haas (Aus) Cannondale-Garmin
10. Samuel Dumoulin (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale