Rohan Dennis leapt away from a bunch of GC favourites to take stage three at the Tour Down Under, with teammate Cadel Evans taking second
Rohan Dennis sprung a surprise attack on the climb to Paracombe to take stage three of the Tour Down Under.
The young Australian, who will attempt to break the Hour Record in February, sped past compatriots Cadel Evans (BMC) and Richie Porte (Team Sky) who had been leading the peloton up the final climb.
Evans continued to impress in what is the 2011 Tour de France winner’s final stage race, as did Giant-Alpecin’s Tom Dumoulin, who finished third.
Tour Down Under 2015, stage three: Norwood to Paracombe, 143.2km
1. Rohan Dennis (Aus) BMC 3-35-08
2. Cadel Evans (Aus) BMC at 3 secs
3. Tom Dumoulin (Ned) Giant-Alpecin
4. Maxime Bouet (Fra) Etixx-Quick-Step at 5 secs
5. Michael Rogers (Aus) Tinkoff-Saxo
6. Richie Porte (Aus) Sky
7. Jack Haig (Aus) UniSA-Australia
8. Rubén Fernandez (Spa) Movistar
9. Domenico Pozzovivo (Ita) AG2R La Mondiale
10. Simon Geschke (Ger) Giant-Alpecin at 13 secs