Rohan Dennis sprung a surprise attack on the climb to Paracombe to take stage three of the Tour Down Under.
The young Australian, who will attempt to break the Hour Record in February, sped past compatriots Cadel Evans (BMC) and Richie Porte (Team Sky) who had been leading the peloton up the final climb.
>> Save up to 31% with a magazine subscription. Enjoy the luxury of home delivery and never miss an issue <<
Evans continued to impress in what is the 2011 Tour de France winner’s final stage race, as did Giant-Alpecin’s Tom Dumoulin, who finished third.
Tour Down Under 2015, stage three: Norwood to Paracombe, 143.2km
1. Rohan Dennis (Aus) BMC 3-35-08
2. Cadel Evans (Aus) BMC at 3 secs
3. Tom Dumoulin (Ned) Giant-Alpecin
4. Maxime Bouet (Fra) Etixx-Quick-Step at 5 secs
5. Michael Rogers (Aus) Tinkoff-Saxo
6. Richie Porte (Aus) Sky
7. Jack Haig (Aus) UniSA-Australia
8. Rubén Fernandez (Spa) Movistar
9. Domenico Pozzovivo (Ita) AG2R La Mondiale
10. Simon Geschke (Ger) Giant-Alpecin at 13 secs