Carlos Betancur insists he isn’t getting a ‘second chance’ at proving himself as a professional cyclist by riding for Movistar in 2016, instead the Colombian says it’s just the continuation of his career.
>> Subscribe to Cycling Weekly this Autumn and save 35%. Enjoy the luxury of home delivery and never miss an issue <<
But since then the 26-year-old has struggled with his weight and disciplinary issues, including missing a flight back from South America to Europe for the Tour de France, and his Ag2r contract was terminated by mutual consent.
“I do not think my signing [for Movistar] is a second chance for me – I see it as a continuation of my sporting career,” he told Spanish newspaper AS.
“My goal is to do well wherever I go. I am a young man who has sacrificed so much, and the two years I suffered [at Ag2r] will not become an impediment to achieving big goals in the future.”
Between March 16, 2014, and May 17, 2015, Betancur failed to secure a single top-20 finish, breaking his streak with a series of strong rides at the Giro d’Italia.
While it looked as if he may be back on track, Betancur never raced for the French outfit again after the final stage of the Grand Tour.
Despite working in a support role, Betancur hopes to be in a position to taste victory of his own again soon.
“Now I do not care where I raise my arms again. The next victory will mean a turning point in my career.”