Emma Pooley of Great Britain was eighth in the Montreal round of the World Cup, which was won by Germany’s Judith Arndt.
Riding for her Specialized trade team, Pooley was 38 seconds down on the winner in Quebec.
It’s a big boost for her after a difficult time in the Tour de l’Aude stage race two weeks ago. Pooley lost big time on three of the stages and missed the time cut on the seventh stage and was eliminated from the race.
But she has clearly regrouped and allayed any fears of a loss of form. Another solid one-day performance bodes well for the Olympic Games road race, which is now just over a couple of months away.
It is likely Pooley, Nicole Cooke and Sharon Laws will be the three-rider line-up for the road race in Beijing.
MONTREAL WORLD CUP RESULTS
1. Judith Arndt (Ger) High Road 110km in 3-11-34
2. Fabiana Luperini (Ita) Menikini-Selle Italia same time
3. Leigh Hobson (Can) Canada at 32sec
4. Sara Carrigan (Aus) Australia at 34sec
5. Kristin Armstrong (USA) Cervelo
6. Anne Samplonius (Can) Canada)
7. Erinne Willcock (Can) Webcor all same time
8. Emma Pooley (GB) Specialized at 38sec
34. Rachel Heal (GB) Tibco at 9-15