Canadian time trial champion Svein Tuft won the opening time trial of the Eneco Tour in Steenwijk, Holland this afternoon.
In wet and windy conditions, the Garmin-Transitions riders clocked a time of 6 minutes and 18 seconds over the 5.2km course.
This was enough to dislodge long time race leader Lars Boom (Rabobank) who had started earlier in the day.
Dutch time trial champion Jos Van Emden (Rabobank) came closest to toppling Tuft’s time but still fell five seconds short.
With last man off Edvald Boasson Hagen (Sky) finishing in fifth spot -one place ahead of his teammate Geraint Thomas- he is in a good position to defend last year’s overall victory.
The Eneco Tour continues over the next seven days working its way around the Netherlands and Belgium. It concludes in Genk next Tuesday with a 16.9km time trial.
1. Svein Tuft (Can) Garmin-Transitions 06-18
2. Jos Van Emden (Ned) Rabobank at 5 sec
3. Lars Boom (Ned) Rabobank at 6 sec
4. Maarten Tjallingii (Ned) Rabobank same time
5. Edvald Boasson Hagen (Nor) Team Sky at 7 sec
6. Geraint Thomas (GBr) Team Sky same time