Garmin-Cervélo's Emma Pooley and Lizzie Armitstead are showing strong form in the Tour de l'Ardèche in France as they prepare for this month's World Championships in Copenhagen.
Current world time trial champion Pooley leads the race after winning yesterday's third stage, with British national champion Armitstead sitting in second after three successive top three stage finishes.
Pooley soloed to the victory in Le Teil after attacking from a leading group of 11 which contained the likes of Armitstead, Amanda Miler (HTC-Highroad Women) and Larisa Pankova (Russia).
Armitstead took the chase group sprint for second ahead of Julia Martisova (Russia) and Elena Cecchini (Colavita Forno d'Asolo), and now sits 2-11 behind her team-mate on GC.
Earlier that day, the pair had kept themselves in the running for the overall win by finishing third (Armitstead) and fourth (Pooley) in a short 3.5km time trial around Vals les Bains. HTC's Emilia Fahlin won to briefly extend her lead over the British duo, however she lost 13-02 to Pooley in the afternoon's stage.
Tour de l'Ardèche 2011 stage three: Vals les Bains - Le Teil, 96km
1. Emma Pooley (GBr) Garmin-Cervélo in 2-38-28
2. Lizzie Armitstead (GBr) Garmin-Cervélo at 2-25
3. Julia Martisova (Rus) Russian Federation
4. Elena Cecchini (Ita) Colavita Forno d'Asolo
5. Ludivine Henrion (Bel) Belgium
16. Sharon Laws (GBr) Garmin-Cervélo at 7-33
36. Claire Thomas (GBr) Great Britain/France at 13-02
38. Penny Rowson (GBr) FOR- Viored-Brookex
49. Lucy Martin (GBr) Garmin-Cervélo
62. Sarah Byrne (GBr) FOR- Viored-Brookex all at st
66. Rohan Battison (GBr) FOR- Viored-Brookex at 18-05
General classification after stage three
1. Emma Pooley (GBr) Garmin-Cervélo in 5-37-29
2. Elizabeth Armitstead (GBr) Garmin-Cervélo at 2-11
3. Ashleigh Moolman (RSA) at 2-20
4. Christel Ferrier-Bruneau (Fra) France at 2-21
5. Amanda Miller (USA) HTC-Highroad Women at 2-22
18. Sharon Laws (GBr) Garmin-Cervélo at 7-52
33. Claire Thomas (GBr) Great Britain/France at 13-22
37. Lucy Martin (GBr) Garmin-Cervélo at 13-35
54. Penny Rowson (GBr) FOR- Viored-Brookex at 14-07
57. Sarah Byrne (GBr) FOR- Viored-Brookex at 14-12
Thank you for reading 5 articles this month* Join now for unlimited access
Enjoy your first month for just £1 / $1 / €1
*Read 5 free articles per month without a subscription
Join now for unlimited access
Try first month for just £1 / $1 / €1
Nick Bull is an NCTJ qualified journalist who has written for a range of titles, as well as being a freelance writer at Beat Media Group, which provides reports for the PA Media wire which is circulated to the likes of the BBC and Eurosport. His work at Cycling Weekly predominantly dealt with professional cycling, and he now holds a role as PR & Digital Manager at SweetSpot Group, which organises the Tour of Britain.
How do you find new routes and roads? Six tips to help you discover some hidden gems on your next ride
We teamed up with Tredz to offer advice and ideas on how to expand your cycling horizons
By Cycling Weekly • Published
Adidas Velosamba cycling shoes review - please make a model with less stiff soles
The Velosambas ace the look, but are just too stiff for full urban use
By Anna Marie Hughes • Published