William Bjergfelt won the Perfs Pedal race in Hampshire today, kicking off the British road racing season with a fine solo win.
Bjergfelt jumped away from the bunch on the final ten kilometre lap and held them off by a few seconds.
His attack was helped somewhat by a horse that split the peloton with around five kilometres to go. The incident took the edge off the chase as the riders split and then regrouped.
On the final two kilometre drag to the line Martin Bialoblocki played the perfect team mate?s role by sitting in second wheel to deter an organised chase.
In the end, Steve Calland (Norwood Paragon) jumped out of the bunch to take second place with Alex Murison (Glendene) third.
After mid-week fears that the race may have been cancelled due to the adverse weather that hit the UK, the 70km race was eventually held on dry roads with no threat of ice.
More in this week?s Cycling Weekly magazine, on sale from Thursday.
PERFS PEDAL RACE 2009: RESULTS
1. Will Bjergfelt (Sports Beans-Wilier)
2. Steve Calland (Norwood Paragon CC)
3. Alex Murison (Glendene CC/Bike Trax)
4. Marcin Bialoblocki (Sports Beans-Wilier)
5. Andrew Magnier (Planet-X)
6. Alistair Carr (COC Fougeres)
7. David Sinclair (GWR Team-Giant)
8. Chris McNamara (Team Corley-Cervelo)
9. Colin Parry (VC St Raphael)
10. Alex Higham (Wyndymilla)