Edoardo Zardini takes solo win on hilly stage two
Cadel Evans (BMC Racing) climbed to the top of the general classification of the Giro del Trentino on Wednesday after placing fourth behind stage two winner Edoardo Zardini (Bardiani).
Evans’s BMC outfit took the opening stage team time trial, putting the Australian in the ideal position to take the race lead when the race hit the hills – and he delivered on the final climb of San Giacomo di Brentonico, chasing down solo attacker Zardini to prevent him from taking the lead.
Evans was accompanied by Przemyslaw Niemiec (Lampre-Merida) and Fabio Duarte (Colombia) in the chase. Although they didn’t catch Zardini, they had done enough to put Evans in the race lead. Niemiec and Duarte placed second and third respectively at 19 seconds.
Bradley Wiggins (Sky) was one of a number of riders to drop off the back of the peloton on the final climb along with Ivan Basso (Cannondale).
Evans relieves team-mate and overnight leader Daniel Oss of the leader’s jersey, nine seconds ahead of Zardini with two stages remaining. Niemiec is third at 17 seconds.
Giro del Trentino 2014, stage two: Limone sul Garda to San Giacomo di Brentonico, 164.5km
1. Edoardo Zardini (Ita) Bardiani-CSF
2. Przemyslaw Niemiec (Pol) Lampre-Merida at 19 secs
3. Fabio Duarte (Col) Colombia
4. Cadel Evans (Aus) BMC Racing
5. Domenico Pozzovivo (Ita) Ag2r La Mondiale at 23 secs
6. Fabio Aru (Ita) Astana at 36 secs
7. Franco Pellizotti (Ita) Androni Giocattoli
8. Omar Fraile Matarranza (Spa) Caja Rural
9. Igor Anton Hernandez (Spa) Movistar at 38 secs
10. Tiago Machado (Por) NetApp-Endura at same time
Overall classification after stage two
1. Cadel Evans (Aus) BMC Racing
2. Edoardo Zardini (Ita) Bardiani-CSF at 9 secs
3. Przemyslaw Niemiec (Pol) Lampre-Merida at 17 secs