Maciej Bodnar sprinted away from his two breakaway companions to win stage four of the Tour of Poland in Nowy Sacz in a stage where the peloton misjudged their chase.
Bodnar, Kamil Zielinski (Poland) and Gatis Smukulis (Katusha) helped themselves to the first three places on the podium as Caleb Ewan (Orica-GreenEdge) won the sprint in the peloton for fourth place.
>> Subscribe to Cycling Weekly this Autumn and save 35%. Enjoy the luxury of home delivery and never miss an issue <<
Race leader Marcel Kittel was out of contention in the finale, having been dropped in the chilly and damp conditions on the 220km route, crossing the line nine minutes down on Bodnar.
The time gap for Zielinski sees the 27-year-old move into the leader’s jersey for Thursday’s stage five from Nowy Sacz to the ski resort of Zakopane.
Tour of Poland 2015, stage four: Jaworzno to Nowy Sacz, 220km
1. Maciej Bodnar (Pol) Tinkoff-Saxo, 5:14:29
2. Kamil Zielinski (Pol) Team Poland, st
3. Gatis Smukulis (Latvia) Katusha, st
4. Caleb Ewan (Aus) Orica-GreenEdge, at 20s
5. Luka Mezgec (Slo) Giant-Alpecin, st
6. Tom Van Asbroek (Bel) Lotto-Soudal, st
7. Lasse Norman Hansen (Den) Cannondale-Garmin, st
8. Silvan Dillier (Swi) BMC, st
9. Lorrenzo Manzin (Fra) FDJ, st
10. Sebastien Turgot (Fra) Ag2r-La Mondiale, st
Overall classification after stage four
1. Kamil Zielinski (Pol) Team Poland, 15:06:27
2. Maciej Bodnar (Pol) Tinkoff-Saxo, at 3s
3. Caleb Ewan (Aus) Orica-GreenEdge, at 22s
4. Marcis Burghardt (Ger) BMC Racing, at 22s
5. Tom Van Asbroeck (Bel) LottoNL-Jumbo, at 24s
6. Sébastien Turgot (Fra) Ag2r La Mondiale, at 28s
7. Lorrenzo Manzin (Fra) FDJ, st
8. Salvatore Puccio (Ita) Team Sky, st
9. Michal Kwiatkowski (Pol) Etixx-Quick-Step, st
10. Alexey Lutsenko (Kaz) Astana, st