Michal Kwiatkowski thrashed Adriano Malori and time trial world champion Tony Martin in a race against the clock to win stage three of the Tour of Algarve today and extend his overall lead.
The 23 year old averaged 58.07km/h through the 13.6km run to finish in 14 minutes and three seconds with Malori, who won the individual time trial at last month’s Tour de San Luis, 11 seconds off the pace for second.
Kwiatkowski’s Omega Pharma-Quick Step teammate, and defending race champion, Martin was a further two seconds adrift for third.
Britain’s Alex Dowsett (Movistar) marked a stint in the hot seat earlier in the day and was sitting in third position when Kwiatkowski left the gate.
Alberto Contador (Tinkoff-Saxo) knocked him out of podium contention with the Spaniard then relegated to fourth when Kwiatkowski, who was the last rider to start, came home.
Volta ao Algarve, stage three: Vila de Bispo to Sagres, 13.6km ITT
1. Michal Kwiatkowski (Pol) Omega Pharma-Quick Step 14-03
2. Adriano Malori (Ita) Movistar at 11 secs
3. Tony Martin (Ger) Omega Pharma-Quick Step at 13 secs
4. Alberto Contador (Spa) Tinkoff-Saxo at 20 secs
5. Alex Dowsett (GBr) Movistar at 25 secs
6. Jan Barta (Cze) NetApp-Endura at 28 secs
7. Rick Flens (Ned) Belkin at 29 secs
8. Thomas De Gendt (Bel) Omega Pharma-Quick Step at 30 secs
9. Wilco Kelderman (Ned) Belkin
10. Alexandre Geniez (Fra) FDJ.fr at 33 secs
Overall classification after stage three
1. Michal Kwiatkowski (Pol) Omega Pharma-Quick Step 9-03-36
2. Alberto Contador (Spa) Tinkoff-Saxo at 32 secs
3. Rui Costa (Por) Lampre-Merida at 38 secs
4. Alexandre Geniez (Fra) FDJ.fr at 1-00
5. Sergei Chernetckii (Rus) Katusha at 1-03
6. Wilco Kelderman (Ned) Belkin at 1-08
7. Ruben Fernandez (Spa) Caja Rural-Seguros at 1-20
8. Simon Spilak (Slo) Katusha at 1-23
9. Chris Horner (USA) Lampre-Merida at 1-24
10. Eduard Prades (Spa) QFM-Quinta da Lixa at 1-25
Omega Pharma-Quick Step rider Michal Kwiatkowski holds off the charging Alberto Contador and world champion Rui Costa after bold attack
Lampre-Merida sprinter Sacha Modolo wins opening stage of the 2014 Volta ao Algarve
Volta ao Algarve 2013: Tony Martin blitzes final time trial stage to take the victory in Portugal
Thank you for reading 5 articles this month* Join now for unlimited access
Enjoy your first month for just £1 / $1 / €1
*Read 5 free articles per month without a subscription
Join now for unlimited access
Try first month for just £1 / $1 / €1