Chris Sutton (Garmin-Slipstream) scored his third consecutive stage win on Thursday in the 2009 Jayco Herald Sun Tour in Australia, and strengthened his overall lead in the race.
Sutton sprinted ahead of rival Jonathan Cantwell (Fly V Australia) to take the bunch finish in Barwon Heads after 138km of racing. Chris Sutton’s British Garmin-Slipstream team-mate Bradley Wiggins was third. Britain’s Dean Downing (Rapha-Condro) came home in sixth.
>> Save up to 31% with a magazine subscription. Enjoy the luxury of home delivery and never miss an issue <<
Sutton leads the overall classification after stage four by just five seconds over Cantwell. Wiggins is in third spot 43 seconds behind Sutton.
Friday’s penultimate stage is a short but sharp 10km individual time trial. Wiggins is outright favourite for the test against the clock in Geelong, and could possibly move up the overall classification. Barring disaster, a podium finish – perhaps on the top step – is now almost inevitable for the man who placed fourth in this year’s Tour de France.
The 2009 Jayco Herald Sun Tour concludes on Saturday, October 17, with a criterium stage around Melbourne.
Jayco Herald Sun Tour 2009: Stage four, Anglesea-Barwon Heads, 138km
1. Chris Sutton (Aus) Garmin-Slipstream in 3-06-47
2. Jonathan Cantwell (Aus) Fly V Australia
3. Bradley Wiggins (GB) Garmin-Slipstream
4. Aaron Kemps (Aus) Rock Racing
5. Jaan Kirsipuu (Est) LeTua
6. Dean Downing (GB) Rapha-Condor
7. Mitchell Pearson (Aus) Prime Estate
8. Leigh Howard (Aus) Jayco Australia
9. David Tanner (Aus) Rock Racing
10. Matthew Rice (Aus) Jelly Belly all same time.
Overall classification after stage four
1. Chris Sutton (Aus) Garmin-Slipstream in 14-10-42
2. Jonathan Cantwell (Aus) Fly V Australia at 5secs
3. Bradley Wiggins (GB) Garmin-Slipstream at 43secs
4. Matthew Wilson (Aus) Jayco Australia at 58secs
5. Svein Tuft (Can) Garmin-Slipstream at 1-08
6. David Tanner (Aus) Rock Racing at 1-38
7. Philip Zajicek (Aus) Fly V Australia at 1-43
8. Aaron Kemps (Aus) Rock Racing at 1-48
9. Ben Jacques-Maynes (USA) Bissell at same time
10. Bernard Van Ulden (USA) Jelly Belly at 1-52