Hargroves Cycles dominated the Sleepwell Hotels Isle of Man Youth Tour over the weekend, becoming the first team ever to win all three stages and take, with Alistair Slater, the overall in the junior category.
The team’s Jonathan Dibben got things off to a flying start when he won the prologue time-trial in Douglas on Friday but lost the yellow jersey on stage two – a hilly circuit around Peel on the Island’s west coast.
This was the stage where Slater laid the foundations for his overall win, slipping clear in a three man break which swelled to five riders with four of the 11 laps remaining on the 9km circuit.
He then sprinted clear of his breakaway companions on the final climb to the finish line at the top of The Switchback. Luke Grivell-Mellor (Mid Shrops Wheelers) was second and Dutchman Dennis Bakker (Sinnigebouw/Sleepwell Hotels Racing Team) was third.
In the leader’s jersey Slater never looked in any danger of losing it on Sunday’s third and final stage – a 90km race finishing on Ramsey seafront.
Owain Doull completed the Hargroves Cycles’ hat-trick, going clear on the first of six 15km laps with Matthew Holmes (Team Wallis Cycles/CHH).
Doull won the sprint comfortably and his victory was a welcome change in fortunes in a season where he was injured in a crash in the junior Paris-Roubaix and, having recovered, was injured again when he was knocked off his bike by a lorry.
Isle of Man Youth Tour
1. Alistair Slater (Hargroves Cycles)
2. Dennis Bakker (Sinnigebouw/Sleepwell Hotels Racing Team) at 08secs
3. Luke Grivell-Mellor (Mid Shrops Wheelers) at 11secs
Youth A Boys
1. Chris Lawless (BC North West Region
2. Jake Kelly (Team Royal London 360) at 06 secs
3. Tom Arnstein (Scotland Youth) at 13 secs
Youth A Girls
1. Alice Barnes (Motorpoint)
2. Keira McVitty (Kings Cliffe Flyers) at 1-31
3. Rebecca Hunt (Cardiff Ajax) at 1-52
Youth B Boys
1. Jack Escritt (Wolverhampton Wheelers)
2. James Ireson (Wolverhampton Wheelers) at 16 secs
3. Stuart Balfour (Edinburgh Road Club) at 17 secs
Youth B Girls
1. Charlotte Broughton (Leicestershire RC)
2. Abby-Mae Parkinson (Aire Valley RT) at 36secs
3. Megan Barker (Maindy Flyers) at 2-20
Youth C Boys
1. Daniel Tulett (Hargroves Cycles)
2. Thomas Humphrey (Wakefield Junior Tri Club) at 3-05
3. Rhys Britton (Newport Velo) at 3-23
Youth C Girls
1. Jessica Roberts (Towy Riders)
2. Lauren Murphy (Team Keyne) at 1-41
3. Eleanor Davies (Team Royal London 360) at 4-27
Youth D Boys
1. Ben Tulett (Palmer Park Velo)
2. Charlie Gibson (Royal London 360) at 16 secs
3. Johnny Bouch (Border City Wheelers) at 22 secs.
Youth D Girls
1. Alderney Baker (Southdown Velo)
2. Emily Bridson (Team Royal London 360) at 1-09
3. Blae Cain (Team Royal London 360) at 1-10
Youth E Boys
1. Jake Wilson (Team Royal London 360)
2. Jack Christian (Team Royal London 360) at 2-16
3. Zachary Walker (Team Royal London 360) at 3-48
Youth E Girls
1. Darcy Cain (Team Royal London 360)
2. Chloe Cornaish (Team Royal London 360) at 5-55
NB – there were only two riders in this category.