Bauke Mollema (Blanco) won stage two of the 2013 Tour de Suisse atop Crans-Montana on Sunday.
Mollema won the stage after launching a late attack from the peloton to catch and pass escapee Ryder Hesjedal (Garmin-Sharp). Mathias Frank (BMC) came in for second, with Thibaut Pinot (FDJ) in third. Hesjedal hung on for fourth.
Hesjedal had been part of a compact attack group that also included team-mate Daniel Martin with 10 kilometres to go on the ascent to Crans-Montana, but dropped his companions to forge on alone with a strong effort. At one point he gapped the bunch by 30 seconds. As his legs tired near the top of the climb, he was upstaged by Mollema's well-timed move.
Stage one time trial winner Cameron Meyer (Orica-GreenEdge) kept hold of the leader's jersey after staying in contact with the peloton on the final climb. He leads Hesjedal by three seconds overall, and Frank by five seconds.
Twenty-year old British climber Josh Edmondson (Sky) stayed with the bunch to come in within the top 30 finishers on the stage.
Stage two was shortened by the race organiser after snowfall closed the Nufenen and Furka passes, with the stage start shifted from Quinto to Ulrichen.
On Monday, the riders tackle 203-kilometre stage three from Montreux to Meiringen.
Tour de Suisse 2013, stage two: Ulrichen to Crans-Montana
1. Bauke Mollema (Ned) Blanco
2. Mathias Frank (Swi) BMC Racing at 11 secs
3. Thibaut Pinot (Fra) FDJ
4. Ryder Hesjedal (Can) Garmin-Sharp
5. Johan Tschopp (Swi) IAM Cycling
6. Daniel Martin (Irl) Garmin-Sharp
7. Roman Kreuziger (Cze) Saxo-Tinkoff
8. Michele Scarponi (Ita) Lampre-Merida at same time
9. Giovanni Visconti (Ita) Movistar at 19 secs
10. Domenico Pozzovivo (Ita) Ag2r at same time
28. Josh Edmondson (GBr) Sky at 52 secs
Overall classification after stage two
1. Cameron Meyer (Aus) Orica-GreenEdge in 2-53-06
2. Ryder Hesjedal (Can) Garmin-Sharp at 3 secs
3. Mathias Frank (Swi) BMC Racing at 5 secs
4. Giovanni Visconti (Ita) Movistar at 12 secs
5. Bauke Mollema (Ned) Blanco at 14 secs
Wet weather in the mountains
Ryder Hesjedal solo
Bauke Mollema wins
Cameron Meyer maintains lead
Cameron Meyer wins Tour de Suisse opening time trial
Tour de Suisse 2013: The Big Preview
Tour de Suisse 2013: Who will win?
Thank you for reading 5 articles this month* Join now for unlimited access
Enjoy your first month for just £1 / $1 / €1
*Read 5 free articles per month without a subscription
Join now for unlimited access
Try first month for just £1 / $1 / €1