Dutchman Lars Boom (Rabobank) has won the 2011 Tour of Britain overall after winning two stages and placing second on Sunday morning’s time trial.
The 2008 cyclo-cross World Champion kept out of trouble during the race’s final criterium stage around Westminster, London, on Sunday afternoon to seal the win.
“It was awesome,” said Boom of the Tour of Britain. “London is a very nice city. It’s a lovely country, I didn’t expect that. The public was awesome, a lot of cheering so it was a great week for us.”
Steve Cummings (Sky) placed second overall behind Boom after a strong time trial performance in the morning. Czech NetApp rider Jan Barta finished third overall.
Mark Cavendish (HTC-Highroad) showed that his preparations ahead of this week’s World Championships are on track by winning the final stage, his second of the race.
Cavendish’s team-mate and stage five winner Mark Renshaw came second, with Robert Forster (United Healthcare) third.
Thomas’s fourth place on the final stage netted him the overall points classification.
“We wanted to win the race and crashing on Stage Six didn’t help, and with Lars [Boom] sprinting so well we were always up against it,” said Thomas at the finish.
“We thought that after a fifth this morning, I moved ahead of Cavendish so we thought we may as well go for it and try and get on the podium. Fortunately we did and the lads did a great job. Swift took me to the line. I had to get fifth if Cav won and fortunately I got fourth.”
Jonathan Tiernan Locke (Rapha Condor Sharp) completed the race in fifth place overall and earned himself the King of the Mountains jersey in what has been a great week for the British rider.
Belgian Pieter Ghyllebert (An Post) secured the Sprints classification.
Tour of Britain 2011, stage 8b: London to London, 90km
1. Mark Cavendish (GB) HTC-Highroad
2. Mark Renshaw (Aus) HTC-Highroad
3. Robert Forster (Ger) United Healthcare
4. Geraint Thomas (GB) Sky all same time
5. Ben Swift (GB) Sky
6. Giacomo Nizzolo (Ita) Leopard-Trek
7. Tobyn Horton (GB) Motorpoint
8. Andrew Fenn (GB) An Post-Sean Kelly
9. Dan Craven (Nam) Rapha Condor Sharp
10. Stijn Neirynck (Bel) Topsport Vlaanderen all same time
39. Lars Boom (Ned) Rabobank at same time
Final overall classification
1. Lars Boom (Ned) Rabobank
2. Steve Cummings (GB) Sky at 36 secs
3. Jan Barta (Cze) NetApp at 55 secs
4. Linus Gerdemann (Ger) Leopard-trek at 57 secs
5. Jonathan Tiernan Locke (GB) Rapha Condor Sharp at 1-03
6. Iker Camano (Spa) Endura at 1-07
7. Jelle Wallays (Bel) Topsport Vlaanderen at 1-12
8. Joost Posthuma (Ned) Leopard-Trek at 1-13
9. Leopold Koenig (Cze) NetApp at 1-19
10. Daniel Lloyd (GB) Garmin – Cervelo at 1-25
1. Geraint Thomas (GB) Sky
1. Jonathan Tiernan Locke (GB) Rapha Condor Sharp
1. Pieter Ghyllebert (Bel) An Post-Sean Kelly
Best young rider classification
1. Jelle Wallays (Bel) Topsport Vlaanderen
Tour of Britain 2011: Latest news
Tour of Britain 2011: Stage reports
Tour of Britain 2011: Photo galleries
By Andy Jones
Stage seven photo gallery
Stage six photo gallery
Stage five photo gallery
Stage four photo gallery
Stage three photo gallery
Stage two photo gallery
Stage one photo gallery
Tour of Britain 2011: Press conference photo gallery
Tour of Britain 2011: Riders warm up photo gallery
Tour of Britain 2011: Start list
Tour of Britain 2011: TV guide