Contador stays with Saxo Bank until 2015

Alberto Contador and Bjarne Riis, Saxo Bank, Tour de France 2011 press conference

Alberto Contador has renewed his contract with Danish WorldTour squad Saxo Bank for a further three years, until the end of the 2015 season.

Saxo Bank confirmed that Contador will resume racing with the team when the Spaniard's current ban for failing a test for clenbuterol during the 2010 Tour de France expires on August 5. In recent weeks, rumours have been rife that the 29-year-old may sign for a rival team.

"The decision to return to Team Saxo Bank has actually been pretty easy, and my first priority was always to rejoin the team and to continue working with Bjarne Riis, and the rest of the team," Contador said via a team press statement on Friday morning.

"The support I have experienced from them in a very difficult situation is extraordinaire. I'm really looking forward to getting back on the bike, and my aim is to repay that support, hopefully with some great results."

Team Saxo Bank owner Bjarne Riis added: "A lot of speculations and rumors have surrounded Alberto Contador and his future in the past months, but both our sponsors, the team and Alberto have shared the same wish to continue and built on our relationship."

"All along throughout these last two tough years we have stood by Alberto, so to be able to announce his return to the team is something I have been really looking forward to. Now we can put an end to these speculations and start focusing on building the team for the coming years."

Contador's suspension meant that he lost the 2010 Tour de France and 2011 Giro d'Italia titles.

Since Contador's ban was imposed, Saxo Bank has struggled to achieve any significant results, with just three wins in the 2012 season so far: two stages of the Tour of Taiwan in March and the GP de Denain Porte du Hainaut in April.

Contador's re-signing with Saxo Bank opens the way for him to take part in the 2012 Vuelta a Espana.

Related links

February 2012: Contador says he'll return to cycling after ban

Contador banned for two years after clenbuterol positive

 

Thank you for reading 5 articles this month* Join now for unlimited access

Enjoy your first month for just £1 / $1 / €1

*Read 5 free articles per month without a subscription

Join now for unlimited access

Try first month for just £1 / $1 / €1

Nigel Wynn
Nigel Wynn

Nigel Wynn worked as associate editor on CyclingWeekly.com, he worked almost single-handedly on the Cycling Weekly website in its early days. His passion for cycling, his writing and his creativity, as well as his hard work and dedication, were the original driving force behind the website’s success. Without him, CyclingWeekly.com would certainly not exist on the size and scale that it enjoys today. Nigel sadly passed away, following a brave battle with a cancer-related illness, in 2018. He was a highly valued colleague, and more importantly, n exceptional person to work with - his presence is sorely missed.