Dayer Quintana (Movistar) wrapped up his first career stage race win at the Tour de San Luis after finishing safely in the pack on a final stage won by Jakub Mareczko.
Quintana took the leader’s green jersey after stage six, where he finished third behind Astana’s Miguel Angel Lopez and his own brother Nairo.
>> Struggling to get to the shops? Try 6 issues of Cycling Weekly magazine for just £6 delivered to your door <<
But Richeze faded fast after hitting the front in the sprint, allowing Mareczko and teammate Elia Viviani to battle it out for the win.
Sagan crossed the line in fourth place having never really challenged for the win, with Jason Lowndes (Drapac) completing the podium.
Tour de San Luis, stage seven result (119km)
1. Jakub Mareczko (Ita) Italian National Team, 2-36-51
2. Elia Viviani (Ita) Italian National Team, same time
3. Jason Lowndes (Aus) Drapac, st
4. Peter Sagan (Svk) Tinkoff, st
5. Maximiliano Richeze (Arg) Etixx-Quick Step, st
6. Mauro Richeze (Arg) San Luis Somos Todos, st
7. Gregor Bole (Svk) Nippo-Vini Fantini, st
8. Carlos Alzate (Col) UnitedHealthcare, st
9. Francesco Chicchi (Ita) Androni-Sidermec
10. Julian Gaday (Arg) Los Matanceros, st
1. Dayer Quintana (Col) Movistar, 22-52-12
2. Eduardo Sepulveda (Arg) Fortuneo-Vital Concept, at 20s
3. Nairo Quintana (Col) Movistar, at 35s
4. Miguel Angel Lopez (Col) Astana, at 38s
5. Ilia Koschevoy (Blr) Lampre-Merida, at 1-42,
6. Rodolfo Torres (Col) Androni-Sidermec, at 2-15
7. Rafal Majka (Pol) Tinkoff, at 2-31
8. Janier Acevedo (Col) Jamis, at 2-44
9. Roman Villalobos (Crc) Costa Rica, at 2-59
10. Andre Cardoso (Por) Cannondale, at 3-31