Peter Kennaugh (Sky) took his first major stage race win on Sunday, winning the Settimana Coppi e Bartali in Italy.
Kennaugh went into the final time trial stage with a relatively comfortable 42-second lead over second-placed Manuel Bongiorno (Bardiani-CSF). Although Kennaugh completed the final stage out of the top 10, he had enough of a cushion to clinch the overall win.
Kennaugh’s team-mate Dario Cataldo won the time trial, and moved up to second overall for his efforts.
It was a successful week for Sky in Italy, with Ben Swift winning the opening stage before the squad won the team time trial. Then Peter Kennaugh took the race lead after victory in stage two. With Cataldo’s final win, four out of the five stages went to Sky.
Settimana Coppi e Bartali 2014, stage seven: Pavullo to Montecuccolo, 10km ITT
1. Dario Cataldo (Ita) Team Sky in 16-28
2. Matteo Rabottini (Ita) Yellow Fluo at 8 secs
3. Diego Rosa (Ita) Adroni-Venezuela at 12 secs
4. Damiano Caruso (Ita) Cannondale at 14 secs
5. Alexander Foliforov (Rus) Itera-Katusha at 18 secs
Final overall classification
1. Peter Kennaugh (GBr) Team Sky
2. Dario Cataldo (Ita) Team Sky at 12 secs
3. Matteo Rabottini (Ita) Yellow Fluo at 35 secs
4. Francesco Bongiorno (Ita) Bardiani-CSF at 43 secs
5. Damiano Caruso (Ita) Cannondale at 50 secs
Team Sky win afternoon team time trial stage 1b to extend Ben Swift's lead at the top of the general
Rotherham sprinter Ben Swift follows podium spot in Milan-San Remo with win in Italian stage race