By Nigel Wynn
Rapidly rising British talent Jonathan Tiernan-Locke (Endura) won his second major race of 2012 on Sunday, taking the second day of the Tour du Haut Var in France and winning the race overall.
Tiernan-Locke out-climbed the rest of the field to take the win in Fayence after placing third in the opening stage of the race on Saturday.
Julien El Fares (Team Type 1) placed second overall at six seconds, with fellow Frenchman Julien Simon (Saur-Sojasun) in third at nine seconds.
The UCI 2.1-ranked Tour du Haut Var featured a host of WorldTour teams, including GreenEdge, Garmin-Barracuda, Ag2r, FDJ and Astana.
That Tiernan-Locke (and Continental-level outfit Endura) took on vastly better resourced squads and beat them further proves the Devon man's prospects as one of the most exciting climbers to emerge in the past few years.
Tour du Haut Var 2012, stage two: Frejus to Fayence, 205.4km
1. Jonathan Tiernan-Locke (GBr) Endura in 5-23-13
2. Julien El Fares (Fra) Team Type 1 at 1 sec
3. Julien Simon (Fra) Saur-Sojasun at 4 secs
4. Jonathan Hivert (Fra) Saur-Sojasun at 11 secs
5. Simon Clarke (Aus) GreenEdge at 13 secs
6. Pierrick Fedrigo (Fra) FDJ-Big Mat at 19 secs
7. Fredrik Kessiakoff (Swe) Astana
8. Maxime Bouet (Fra) Ag2r La Mondiale
9. Christophe Le Mevel (Fra) Garmin-Barracuda
10. Romain Hardy (Fra) Bretagne-Schuller at same time
Final overall classification
1. Jonathan Tiernan-Locke (GBr) Endura in 10-10-29
2. Julien El Fares (Fra) Team Type 1 at 6 secs
3. Julien Simon (Fra) Saur-Sojasun at 9 secs
4. Romain Hardy (Fra) Bretagne-Schuller at 13 secs
5. Simon Clarke (Aus) GreenEdge at 18 secs
6. Jonathan Hivert (Fra) Saur-Sojasun at 20 secs
7. Christophe Le Mevel (Fra) Garmin-Barracuda at 24 secs
8. Maxime Bouet (Fra) Ag2r La Mondiale at 28 secs
9. Fredrik Kessiakoff (Swe) Astana at 28 secs
10. Pierrick Fedrigo (Fra) FDJ-Big Mat at 28 secs
Tiernan-Locke finishes third in Haut Var opener
Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k from Rutland Cycling shop
Police caught the gang of thieves who had stolen 23 bikes from the chain store in Grafham Water
By Ryan Dabbs •
These are all the teams applying for WorldTeam and Women’s WorldTeam status next year
Qhubeka-NextHash miss the first deadline, as five women’s teams apply to step up to the top level
By Alex Ballinger •