Twenty-one year old neo-pro Warren Barguil (Argos-Shimano) has taken the biggest win of his young career on stage 13 of the Vuelta a Espana with a well-timed attack well beyond his years to win alone in Castelldefels.
The lanky Frenchman, who won last year’s Tour de l’Avenir before joining the Argos squad, found himself in the crucial break of 10 riders that formed on the first category Rat Penat climb with 50km to race.
>> Subscribe to Cycling Weekly this Autumn and save 35%. Enjoy the luxury of home delivery and never miss an issue <<
As his rivals played cat and mouse in the final 5km, he expertly took advantage of his unmarked position to strike just as the riders around him were tiring.
He may be a climbing specialist but he found enough brute force in his little legs to solo the final 2km to the line.
Behind him the rest of the break must have been wondering how they let the win get away, with Rinaldo Nocentini (Ag2r-La Mondiale) leading them somewhat dejectedly over the line.
Race leader Vincenzo Nibali (Astana) maintained his overall advantage by finishing in the peloton. He leads Nicolas Roche (Saxo-Tinkoff) by 31 seconds.
Vuelta a Espana 2013, stage 12: Valls to Castelldefels, 169km
1. Warren Barguil (Argos-Shimano) in 3-58-58
2. Rinaldo Nocentini (Ag2r-La Mondiale)
3. Bauke Mollema (Belkin)
4. Ivan Santaromita (BMC)
5. Xavier Zandio (Sky)
6. Amets Txurruka (Caja-Rural)
7. Michele Scarponi (Lampre-Merida)
8. Igoi Martinez (Euskaltel-Euskadi) all at 7 secs
9. Jerome Coppel (Cofidis) at 23 secs
10. Benat Inxausti (Movistar) at 2-34
Overall classification after stage 13
1. Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Astana in 49-29-02
2. Nicolas Roche (Irl) Saxo-Tinkoff at 0-31
3. Alejandro Valverde (Spa) Movistar at 0-46
4. Chris Horner (USA) RadioShack-Leopard at st
5. Joaquim Rodriguez (Spa) Katusha at 2-33
6. Domenico Pozzovivo (Ita) Ag2r-La Mondiale at 2-44
7. Ivan Basso (Ita) Cannondale at 2-55
8. Thibaut Pinot (Fra) FDJ at 3-35
9. Rafal Majka (Pol) Saxo-Tinkoff at 3-46
10. Daniel Moreno (Spa) Katusha at 3-56
Vincenzo Nibali: Safe in the red jersey
Warren Barguil celebrates his first major win
Vuelta a Espana 2013: Stage reports
Vuelta a Espana 2013: Photo galleries