Junior road race world champion Lucy Garner (Node4-Giordana) took the senior women’s circuit racing national title at the Sheffield Grand Prix on Wednesday evening.
Garner out-paced Eileen Roe (Ibis Cycles) and Amy Roberts (Scott Contessa) in the fast finish to clinch the title, and add another jersey to her growing collection.
Defending champion Hannah Barnes (Ibis Cycles) finished fifth.
The Sheffield GP also hosted the final round of the British Cycling Elite Criterium Series. Man on-form Graham Briggs (Raleigh-GAC) swept to win the race, having already secured the series title in the previous round.
Briggs’ Raleigh team-mates brought the race under control in the final lap to position Briggs for the win, he kept ahead of Russell Downing (Endura Racing) and Rico Rogers (Node4 Giordana) for the victory.
An estimated crowd of 10,000 spectators turned out to watch the racing, lining the route around Sheffield.
Sheffield Grand Prix
Women’s circuit national championship
1. Lucy Garner (Node4-Giordana)
2. Eileen Roe (Ibis Cycles)
3. Amy Roberts (Scott Contessa)
4. Elinor Barket (Scott Contessa)
5. Hannah Barnes (Ibis Cycles)
6. Emily Kay (Scott Contessa)
7. Laura Massey (Abergavenny Road Club)
8. Harriet Owen (Node4-Giordana)
9. Tamina Oliver (Abergavenny Road Club)
10. Louise Mahe (Mule Bar Girls)
Elite Criterium Series: Sheffield, men
1. Graham Briggs (Raleigh-GAC)
2. Russell Downing (Endura Racing)
3. Rico Rogers (Node4 Giordana)
4. Bernie Sulzberger (Raleigh-GAC)
5. Tobyn Horton (Raleigh-GAC)
6. Dean Downing (Rapha Condor Sharp)
7. James McCallum (Rapha Condor Sharp)
8. Ben Grenda (Rapha Condor Sharp)
9. Tom Murray (IG-Sigma Sport)
10. Mike Northey (Node4-Giordana)
Sheffield hosts final round of Elite Criterium Series
Women’s start line
Lucy Garner in action
Lucy Garner wins
The new national champion
Oli Beckingsale leads the men’s race
Russell Downing leads Graham Briggs
Raleigh-GAC in control
Graham Briggs wins
Russell Downing (Second), winner Graham Briggs and Rico Rogers (third) on the podium