Spaniard Alberto Contador (Saxo Bank) won the Volta a Catalunya overall on Sunday after leading the race from stage three.
French sprinter Samuel Dumoulin (Cofidis) took his second victory of the race, winning the final stage in Barcelona. Sky’s Rigoberto Uran placed second, with Kenny De Haes (Omega Pharma) in third.
>> Struggling to get to the shops? Try 6 issues of Cycling Weekly magazine for just £6 delivered to your door <<
In the overall classification, Michele Scarponi (Lampre) ended up second behind Contador at 23 seconds, with Ireland’s Daniel Martin (Garmin-Cervelo) in third at 35 seconds.
Britain’s sole representative in the race, Chris Froome (Sky), ended up 62nd on general classification, 10 minutes and 33 seconds behing Contador. Froome had been part of a day-long break on Friday’s stage five, but was caught 5km from the line.
On Thursday, Contador heard from the Union Cycliste Internationale that it would appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport against the Spanish Cycling Federation’s decision to acquit Contador of charges relating to his positive test for banned substance clenbuterol during the 2010 Tour de France.
Volta a Catalunya 2011, stage seven: Parets del Valles to Barcelona (Pla de Palau), 124.5km
1. Samuel Dumoulin (Fra) Cofidis
2. Rigoberto Uran (Col) Sky
3. Kenny De Haes (Bel) Omega Pharma-Lotto
4. Jose Rojas (Spa) Movistar
5. Manuel Cardoso (Por) Radioshack
6. Aitor Galdos (Spa) Caja Rural
7. Michal Golas (Pol) Vacansoleil-DCM
8. Blel Kadri (Fra) Ag2r
9. Ivan Rovny (Rus) Radioshack
10. Kevin Seeldraeyers (Bel) Quickstep all same time.
24. Chris Froome (GB) Sky at same time
Final overall classification
1. Alberto Contador (Spa) Saxo Bank-Sungard
2. Michele Scarponi (Ita) Lampre-ISD at 23 secs
3. Daniel Martin (Irl) Garmin-Cervelo at 35 secs
4. Christopher Horner (USA) Radioshack at 35 secs
5. Rigoberto Uran Uran (Col) Sky at 38 secs
6. Xavier Tondo Volpini (Spa) Movistar at 38 secs
7. Ivan Basso (Ita) Liquigas-Cannondale at 38 secs
8. Cadel Evans (Aus) BMC Racing at 50 secs
9. Kevin Seeldraeyers (Bel) Quickstep at 1-12
10. Bauke Mollema (Ned) Rabobank at 1-12
62. Chris Froome (GB) Sky at 10-33
Volta a Catalunya 2011, stage five: Dumoulin continues French renaissance with win
Volta a Catalunya 2011 stage four: Cardoso takes bunch sprint
UCI to appeal to CAS in Contador case
Volta a Catalunya 2011 stage three: Contador takes solo win
Volta a Catalunya 2011 stage two: Petacchi wins
Volta a Catalunya 2011 stage one: Smukulia solos to win opener