German Linus Gerdemann won his Leopard-Trek team’s ‘home’ race, the Tour of Luxembourg, on Sunday.
Gerdemann took the lead and maintained it after a solo attack on Friday’s stage two. Gerdemann’s stage win relieved his Leopard-Trek team-mate Fabian Cancellara of the leader’s jersey.
Sunday’s fourth and final stage was won with a surge to the line by Romain Feillu (Vacansoleil) ahead of late attacker Frank Schleck (Leopard-Trek), who clung onto second. Pieter Vanspeybrouck (Topsport Vlaanderen) came in third.
Gerdemann finished just two seconds ahead of Alexandre Geniez (Skil-Shimano) overall, and three seconds ahead of Tony Gallopin (Cofidis) in third. Ian Stannard (Sky) finished as top-placed British rider in 35th spot, 2-19 behind Gerdemann.
Saturday’s penultimate stage was won by Davide Appollonio, giving the 22-year-old Italian his first professional win with the British-based Sky squad, followed by fifth on Sunday. Appollonio finished the race at the top of the points classification.
Tour of Luxembourg 2011, stage four:
1. Romain Feillu (Fra) Vacansoleil-DCM in 3-42-06
2. Frank Schleck (Lux) Leopard-Trek
3. Pieter Vanspeybrouck (Bel) Topsport Vlaanderen
4. Tony Gallopin (Fra) Cofidis
5. Davide Appollonio (Ita) Sky
6. Maxime Vantomme (Bel) Katusha
7. Julien El Fares (Fra) Cofidis
8. Jeremie Galland (Fra) Saur-Sojasun
9. Linus Gerdemann (Ger) Leopard-Trek
10. Jens Keukeleire (Bel) Cofidis all same time
Final overall classification
1. Linus Gerdemann (Ger) Leopard-Trek in 18-35-32
2. Alexandre Geniez (Fra) Skil-Shimano at 2 secs
3. Tony Gallopin (Fra) Cofidis at 3 secs
4. Maxime Monfort (Bel) Leopard-Trek at 5 secs
5. Mickael Delage (Fra) FDJ at 8 secs
6. Jeremie Galland (Fra) Saur-Sojasun at 10 secs
7. Jurgen Van Goolen (Bel) Veranda’s Willems at 11 secs
8. Julien El Fares (Fra) Cofidis at 11 secs
9. Bjorn Leukemans (Bel) Vacansoleil-DCM at 12 secs
10. Alan Marangoni (Ita) Liquigas-Cannondale at 13 secs