Katie Colclough rode to a top-ten in the U23 women’s time trial event at the European Championships in Belgium.
The Championships got off to a flying start thanks to Joe Perrett’s win in the junior men’s time trial.
>> Subscribe to Cycling Weekly this Autumn and save 35%. Enjoy the luxury of home delivery and never miss an issue <<
Colclough, who was second to Lizzie Armitstead in the U23 National road race at the weekened, clocked a time of 38-15 for the 28km time trial in swelteringly hot conditions in Flanders, Belgium.
Fellow Britons Hannah Mayho and Lucy Martin were 35th and 37th respectively.
U23 women’s time trial results:
1. Ellen van Dijk (Netherlands) 36-41
10. Katie Colclough (Great Britian) 38-15
35. Hannah Mayho (Great Britain) 40-09
37. Lucy Martin (Great Britain) 40-24
Meanwhile, in the junior women’s time trial, a mechanical problem requiring a bike change put paid to Ella Sadler-Andrews’ chances of a top-ten finish.
Ella finished 21st in the event, but would probably have finished higher. Corrine Hall fared better and rode to 15th, 1-05 down on race-winner, Pauline Ferrand-Prevot of France.
Junior women’s time trial results:
1. Pauline Ferrand-Prevot (France) 16-55
2. Hanna Solovey (Ukraine) 16-56
3. Maria Petersen (Denmark) 17-25
15. Corrine Hall (Great Britain) 18-00
21. Ella Sadler-Andrews (Great Britain) 18-10
40. Jess Booth (Great Britain) 18-52
European Championship action continues today with the men’s U23 time trial.