Mark Cavendish (Omega Pharma-QuickStep) won the bunch sprint at the end of stage two of the Presidential Tour of Turkey on Monday, his second consecutive win in his first outing in the race.
Omega Pharma team-mate Mark Renshaw shepherded Cavendish through another chaotic finale, putting him in the perfect position to unleash his sprint and win by a bike length over Francesco Chicchi (Neri Sottoli).
Niccolo Bonifazio (Lampre) placed third as Elia Viviani (Cannondale) and Theo Bos (Belkin) struggled to find their place in the sprint.
On Tuesday, the riders face the first mountain stage of the race featuring an uphill finish to Elmali.
Tour of Turkey 2014, stage two: Alanya to Kemer
1. Mark Cavendish (GBr) Omega Pharma-QuickStep in 3-50-17
2. Francesco Chicchi (Ita) Neri Sottoli
3. Niccolo Bonifazio (Ita) Lampre-Merida
4. Kris Boeckmans (Bel) Lotto-Belisol
5. Francesco Lasca (Ita) Caja Rural all same time
Overall classification after stage two
1. Mark Cavendish (GBr) Omega Pharma-QuickStep in 7-06-00
2. Niccolo Bonifazio (Ita) Lampre-Merida
3. Elia Viviani (Ita) Cannondale
4. Theo Bos (Ned) Belkin
5. Michael Van Staeyen (Bel) Topsport-Vlaanderen all same time
Mark Cavendish takes the honours in a scrappy bunch sprint in Alanya and secures early race lead
Thank you for reading 5 articles this month* Join now for unlimited access
Enjoy your first month for just £1 / $1 / €1
*Read 5 free articles per month without a subscription
Join now for unlimited access
Try first month for just £1 / $1 / €1