Steve Cummings (BMC Racing) took the lead in the 2014 Tour of the Mediterranean on Saturday after taking victory in the time trial stage 3b.
Cummings now sits in the lead in the UCI 2.1-ranked race four seconds ahead of Riccardo Zoidl (Trek Factory Racing) and 10 seconds ahead of third-placed Sylvain Chavanel (IAM Cycling).
>> Save up to 31% with a magazine subscription. Enjoy the luxury of home delivery and never miss an issue <<
The Wirral man clocked 24 minutes and 27 seconds over the 18.2-kilometre final test against the clock.
Prior to the time trial the race had been utterly dominated by Giant-Shimano sprinter John Degenkolb, who swept to victory on the opening three stages.
The race concludes on Sunday with a final road stage from Bandol to Toulon over 192.7km.
Tour of the Mediterranean 2014 classification after stage 3b
1. Stephen Cummings (GBr) BMC Racing in 11-33-55
2. Riccardo Zoidl (Aut) Trek Factory Racing at 4 secs
3. Sylvain Chavanel (Fra) IAM Cycling at 10 secs
4. Jean-Christophe Peraud (Fra) Ag2r at 15 secs
5. Eduardo Sepulveda (Arg) Bretagne-Seche Environnement at 34 secs
6. Tobias Ludvigsson (Swe) Giant-Shimano at 35 secs
7. Bob Jungels (Lux) Trek Factory Racing at 37 secs
8. Ben Hermans (Bel) BMC Racing at 43 secs
9. Jeremy Roy (Fra) FDJ at 44 secs
10. Thomas Degand (Bel) Wanty-Groupe Gobert at 46 secs
Steve Cummings: Rider profile - cycling results, biog, career history and more