Luke Gray takes Wessex League win

News logo

The runner-up in the first two rounds, Luke Gray (Trek Cross Collective) sprinted to his first victory in this season's Wessex League on Sunday.

He took victory in round three at Cotswold Airport near Cirencester, edging out Scott Chalmers (Dream CC) on the line while Crispin Doyle (Hargroves Cycles) took third to add to the win he had secured in the veterans' race earlier in the day.

Over in Hertfordshire, junior rider Sean Dunlea (Ciclos Uno) had a day to remember, winning the senior race for the first time at the Eastern League.

The race was round three, and was staged at Knights Templar Sports Centre in Baldock where the 17-year-old edged out Dan Stevens (Neon Velo) by just four seconds, while Ross Tricker (XRT) was a close third, just two seconds further off the pace.

Twenty four hours later Dunlea was back in action at the third round of the London League at Waltham Abbey, but he had to be content with the junior prize.

Matt Holmes (Arctic SRAM RT) continued his great run of form with a third consecutive victory in the series, this time beating Jules Birks (VC Londres) to the line at Gunpowder Park.

In Cwmbran, former Welsh National Junior Champion Adam King (Cardiff JIF) won the opening round of the Welsh League at Llantarnam High School on Sunday.

The 17-year-old dominated the race and pushed Team Wiggle's Ben Simmons into second spot.

In the third round of the Waldrons Solicitors West Midlands League, Rugby Velo 23-year-old Jeremy Hicks secured his first cross win of the season on a technical course at Redditch.

He took the win by 18 seconds from Peter Banham (Fred Williams Cycles), while veteran Darren Atkins (unattached) was third.

And in the Yorkshire Points Series there was a third consecutive victory for National Trophy Series contender Paul Oldham (Hope Factory Racing) - despite having been given a one minute handicap.

Nick Barnes (Zepnat RT) was the early leader, but once Oldham made up his handicap he was off in front and took another easy win with Barnes 50 seconds behind and Dieter Droger (Scott) third.

Barnes had also finished second in the previous day's Notts and Derby League at Markeaton Park in Derby, where Dave Collins (Hope Factory Racing) moved up from second last time to take the win by 13 seconds from Barnes.

In road racing, there was a win for Jason White (unattached) in the London Phoenix Grand Prix at East Hanningfield, sprinting clear of Spalding CC's Tom Neale at the end of the 120-kilometre race, while IG-Sigma Sport's Jake Hales was third in a 20-rider sprint finish.

Thank you for reading 20 articles this month* Join now for unlimited access

Enjoy your first month for just £1 / $1 / €1

*Read 5 free articles per month without a subscription

Join now for unlimited access

Try first month for just £1 / $1 / €1