Putting it simply, the stage was stunning. Drowned in sunshine, riders pedalled up and down mountains, through valleys and past lakes in the most picturesque of settings.
>> Struggling to get to the shops? Try 6 issues of Cycling Weekly magazine for just £6 delivered to your door <<
Our photographers Graham Watson and Yuzuru Sunada did a great job to capture the scenery in their shots, and here’s a selection of their best snaps.
1. Breakaway rider Darwin Atapuma moves through the snow-capped peaks.
2. In the Dolomites the mountains come out of nowhere.
3. Everywhere you look there are high peaks towering out of the ground
4. Steven Kruijswijk’s pink jersey celebration had a pretty nice backdrop.
5. The peloton passed a lake with a picturesque peak
6. Pim Ligthart looks pretty small compared to the mountains around him
7. These were the views that welcomed the riders all day long
8. The rocky outcrops were replaced by grassy banks at the Passo Pordoi
9. It’s a whole lot easier to climb mountains when this is what you get to look at.
10. The weather was perfect all day
11. Look behind you, Tim!