By Nigel Wynn
Alberto Contador (Saxo Bank-Tinkoff Bank) continued his comeback from a doping suspension with a win in the Milan-Turn one-day race in Italy on Wednesday.
Contador escaped from the peloton on the 199-kilometre race's final climb to take a solo win. Diego Ulissi (Lampre-ISD) came home in second, with Fredrik Kessiakoff (Astana) in third.
Tour of Lombardy hopefuls Joaquin Rodriguez (Katusha) and Vincenzo Nibali (Liquigas-Cannondale) were fourth and ninth respectively.
Contador won the Vuelta a Espana in September having served a doping suspension for failing a test for clenbuterol at the 2010 Tour de France.
Many of the riders in Milan-Turin will line up on Saturday for the final European WorldTour race of the season - the Tour of Lombardy. Another pre-Lombardy warm-up race, Giro del Piemonte, takes place tomorrow (Thursday).
Milan-Turin 2012: 199km
1. Alberto Contador (Spa) Saxo Bank-Tinkoff-Bank in 3-32-12
2. Diego Ulissi (Ita) Lampre-ISD
3. Fredrik Kessiakoff (Swe) Astana
4. Joaquin Rodriguez (Spa) Katusha
5. Carlos Betancur (Col) Acqua & Sapone
6. Fabio Taborre (Ita) Acqua & Sapone
7. Domenico Pozzovivo (Ita) Colnago-CSF Inox
8. Chris Anker Sorensen (Den) Saxo Bank-Tinkoff Bank
9. Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Liquigas-Cannondale
10. Franco Pellizotti (Ita) Androni Giocattoli
Alberto Contador wins Milan-Turin
Ulissi, Contador and Kessiakoff on the podium
Tour of Lombardy 2012: The Big Preview
More medals for Britain at Track World Championships but Italy steal the show
It was medals galore on day two of the Track World Championships in Roubaix with Italy taking the lion's share
By Tim Bonville-Ginn •
DT Swiss rejoins the Pro Tour with Lotto Soudal
Wheel giants partner with Belgian outfit for the 2022 season
By Luke Friend •