Twenty-one year old British talent Simon Yates won the toughest stage of the 2013 Tour of Britain on Friday, putting in a late attack on the final climb of Haytor.
Bradley Wiggins (Sky) maintained his overall lead with two days of competition remaining. Yates (Great Britain) surged ahead of an elite front group, including Wiggins, on the uphill finish with Martin Elmiger (IAM) second and David Lopez (Sky) third.
Yates entered his 'home' stage race on the back of the prestigious Tour de l'Avenir where he won two stages and finished 10th overall. It's been touted he will graduate from the under-23 to WorldTour ranks next season although that is yet to be confirmed. What team he choses to sign with, in the event, has been a discussion point.
The points race world champion timed his run to perfection surging ahead of eight riders to take a clear victory.
"To win a stage of your national tour, you can't get much better," Yates said post-race.
A three-man break including Angel Madrazo (Movistar), most combative Liam Holohan (Madison Genesis) and Stefano Pirazzi (Bardiani) were caught with 5km remaining.
Dan Martin (Garmin-Sharp) launched two unsuccessful attacks within the final 3km before Nairo Quintana (Movistar) surged off the front of the main group forcing Wiggins and Sky to close the gap. Francesco Manuel Bongiorno (Bardiani) attacked with about 1.5km to go but was reeled in before Yates made his winning move within the final 1000m.
Tomorrow the riders head to Surrey for a stage from Epsom to Guildford, which is expected to end in a bunch sprint before Sunday's finale in Westminster. Full stage seven preview>>
Tour of Britain 2013, stage six: Sidmouth to Haytor, 137km
1. Simon Yates (GBr) Great Britain in 3-23-43
2. Martin Elmiger (Sui) IAM at 2 secs
3. David Lopez (Spa) Sky at same time
4. Sergio PArdilla (Spa) Sky at 5 secs
5. Sebastien Reichenbach (Sui) IAM Cycling at same time
6. Nairo Quintana (Col) Movistar at 7 secs
7. Bradley Wiggins (GBr) Sky at same time
8. Francesco Bongiorno (Ita) Bardiani Valvole-CSF Inox at 12 secs
9. Marcel Wyss (Sui) IAM Cycling at same time
10. Evaldas Siskevicius (Ltu) Sojasun at 31 secs
Overall classification after stage six
1. Bradley Wiggins (GBr) Sky in 24-10-55
2. Martin Elmiger (Sui) IAM at 32 secs
3. Simon Yates (GBr) Great Britain at 1-06
4. David Lopez (Esp) Sky at 1-08
5. Sergio Pardilla (Esp) MTN Qhubeka at 1-16
6. Jack Bauer (NZl) Garmin-Sharp at 1-19
7. Ian Stannard (GBr) Sky at 1-34
8. Michal Golas (Pol) Omega Pharma-QuickStep at 1-36
9. Sebastien Reichenbach (Sui) IAM Cycling at 1-42
10. Nairo Quintana (Col) Movistar at 1-56
Tour of Britain 2013: Coverage index
Thank you for reading 20 articles this month* Join now for unlimited access
Enjoy your first month for just £1 / $1 / €1
*Read 5 free articles per month without a subscription
Join now for unlimited access
Try first month for just £1 / $1 / €1