Manxman returns to iconic track event for the first time since 2007.

Mark Cavendish will be the star turn at this year’s Ghent Six, as organisers today confirmed he will team up with Omega Pharma-Quick Step team-mate Iljo Keisse at the popular event.

Cavendish is a double World champion in the Madison, and will use his time competing alongside Keisse at the famous track meeting [November 18-23] as part of his preparations for the 2015 season.

The 29-year-old wanted to compete in last year’s Ghent Six, but was blocked by Omega Pharma team manager Patrick Lefevre.

“It is true that I have not given Mark permission to do the six-day. We pay him for performance on the road and he must concentrate fully on that,” said Lefevre at the time.

But following Cavendish’s crash on the opening day of this year’s Tour de France, in which he separated his AC joint, he has been keen to return to the boards.

At the Tour of Britain, Bradley Wiggins revealed the 2011 World road race champion had asked him to ride the forthcoming National Madison Championships [October 24] in London with him.

“He doesn’t know yet if he can ride them because of his shoulder,” said Wiggins, referring to his injuries sustained during the Tour.

Cavendish last competed at Ghent in 2007.