Frenchman Samuel Dumoulin (Cofidis) won the 2010 Etoile de Besseges on Sunday, with Belgian Niko Eeckhout taking the final stage for his An Post-Sean Kelly team.
The final stage of the race was something of an anti-climax, as a significant portion of the peloton failed to turn up on the start line, including Team Sky Brits Steve Cummings and Peter Kennaugh, An Post-Sean Kelly British rider Mark McNally and race leader Arnaud Molmy (Roubaix Lille Metropole). Many riders had been forced to withdraw due to illness.
>> Save up to 31% with a magazine subscription. Enjoy the luxury of home delivery and never miss an issue <<
Daniel Lloyd was Britain’s only overall finisher. The Cervelo Test Team rider crashed heavily at the end of the opening stage of the race, but recovered sufficiently to finish 77th overall after coming home in 17th on the final stage.
Etoile de Besseges 2010: Stage five
1. Niko Eeckhout (Bel) An Post-Sean Kelly 145km in 3-15-07
2. Valentin Iglinskiy (Kaz) Astana
3. Hans Dekkers (Ned) Landbouwkrediet-Colnago
4. Tom Veelers (Ned) Skil-Shimano
5. Steven Caethoven (Bel) Landbouwkrediet-Colnago at same time.
17. Daniel Lloyd (GB) Cervelo Test Team at same time
Final overall classification
1. Samuel Dumoulin (Fra) Cofidis in 17-10-27
2. Matthieu Ladagnous (Fra) Francaise des Jeux at 3secs
3. Pieter Ghyllebert (Bel) An Post-Sean Kelly at 4secs
4. Thomas De Gendt (Bel) Topsport Vlaanderen at 4secs
5. Julien Loubet (Fra) Ag2r at 5secs
6. Arnaud Gerard (Fra) Francaise des Jeux at 6secs
7. Sander Armee (Bel) Topsport Vlaanderen at 7secs
8. Laurent Lefevre (Fra) Bbox Bouygues Telecom at 7secs
9. Biel Kadri (Fra) Ag2r at 8secs
10. Pierrick Fedrigo (Fra) Bbox Bouygues Telecom at 8secs
77. Daniel Lloyd (GB) Cervelo Test Team