FDJ's Johan Le Bon holds off fellow escapee Dylan van Baarle to win stage five of the Eneco Tour
Frenchman Johan Le Bon took a sensational win on stage five at the Eneco Tour as heavy rain split the peloton apart and allowed the FDJ rider to win from the breakaway.
Le Bon and Dylan Van Baarle (Cannondale-Garmin) looked set to be swallowed up by the pack as their lead was kept to a manageable figure, but when the torrential rain drenched the streets and cobbles the chase was disrupted.
As it was, only five riders were left to chase down the two leaders, including Andre Greipel and Wilco Kelderman, but it was too little, too late as Le Bon’s attacking instinct led him to the line first.
Kelderman takes over the leadership of the race from teammate Jos van Emden after finishing fifth on the stage.
Eneco Tour stage five: Reimst – Sittard-Geleen (179.6)
1. Johan Le Bon (Fra) FDJ, 4:13:50
2. Dylan van Baarle (Ned) Cannondale-Garmin, st
3. Magnus Cort Nielsen (Den) Orica-GreenEdge, at 9s
4. Tim Wellens (Bel) Lotto-Soudal, st
5. Wilco Kelderman (Ned) LottoNL-Jumbo, st
6. Andre Greipel (Ger) Lotto-Soudal, at 11s
7. Georg Priedler (Aut) Giant-Alpecin, at 15s
8. Tiesj Benoot (Bel) Lotto-Soudal, at 27s
9. Philippe Gilbert (Bel) BMC Racing, st
10. Lars Boom (Ned) Astana, st
General classification after stage five
1. Wilco Kelderman (Ned) LottoNL-Jumbo, 16:44:13
2. Dylan van Baarle (Ned) Cannondale-Garmin, at 1s
3. Johan Le Bon (Fra) FDJ, at 8s
4. Jos van Emden (Ned) LottoNL-Jumbo, at 13s
5. Tim Wellens (Bel) Lotto-Soudal, at 19s
6. Lars Boom (Ned) Astana, at 20s
7. Greg Van Avermaet (Bel) BMC Racing, at 26s
8. Manuel Quinziato (Ita) BMC Racing, at 29s
9. Philippe Gilbert (Bel) BMC Racing, at 29s
10. Michael Rogers (Aus) Tinkoff-Saxo, at 34s