Omega Pharma-QuickStep’s early season success continued with Michal Kwiatkowski winning the third day of the Mallorca Challenge on Tuesday, the Trofeo Serra de Tramuntana Deià-Lluc.
Unlike the previous two day’s races, the third day’s ride included a hilly 153km route that featured the first category climb of Puig Major.
>> Save up to 31% with a magazine subscription. Enjoy the luxury of home delivery and never miss an issue <<
Kwiatkowski launched an attack on Puig Major with Sergio Henao (Sky), catching an escape group. The Pole then dropped Henao and the escapees to solo to the finish. Edvald Boasson Hagen (Sky) placed second from the chasing group, with Francesco Gavazzi (Astana) in third.
British rider Simon Yates (Orica-GreenEdge) put in a solid performance to place 13th, from the same chasing group as Boasson Hagen.
Bradley Wiggins, in his second outing of the season, finished in the main group at around 17 minutes alongside British Sky team-mates Peter Kennaugh and Josh Edmondson.
Trofeo Serra de Tramuntana, Deià-Lluc, 153km
1. Michal Kwiatkowski (Pol) Omega Pharma-QuickStep in 3-59-51
2. Edvald Boasson Hagen (Nor) Sky at 27 secs
3. Francesco Gavazzi (Ita) Astana
4. Gianluca Brambilla (Ita) Omega Pharma-QuickStep
5. Petr Vakoc (Cze) Omega Pharma-QuickStep
6. Pieter Serry (Bel) Omega Pharma-QuickStep
7. Jesus Del Pino (Spa) Burgos-BH
8. Luis Leon Sanchez (Spa) Caja Rural-Seguros
9. Tanel Kangert (Est) Astana
10. Sergio Henao (Col) Sky
Team Sky sprinter Ben Swift squeezed out of victory in Mallorca as Sacha Modolo takes second consecutive win
International cycling race round-up: Results from Trofeo Palma, Etoile de Besseges and Jayco Herald Sun Tour