Niki Terpstra (Omega Pharma-QuickStep) won the opening stage of the 2014 Tour of Qatar on Sunday from a five-man escape group.
Terpstra came out on top in the sprint, with Jurgen Roelandts (Lotto-Belisol) in second and Michael Schar (BMC) in third.
>> Struggling to get to the shops? Try 6 issues of Cycling Weekly magazine for just £6 delivered to your door <<
Terpstra had team-mate Guillaume Van Keirsbulck in the break, with Martin Elmiger (IAM Cycling) the fifth member of the group. The escapees finished just ahead of a large chasing group, with the rest of the peloton split to pieces on the wind-swept stage.
The riders will tackle stage two on Monday, a 160.5km journey from Camel Race Track to Al Khor Corniche. The six-stage, UCI 2.HC-ranked race concludes on Friday, February 14.
Tour of Qatar 2014, stage one: Al Wakra to Dukhan Beach, 135.5km
1. Niki Terpstra (Ned) Omega Pharma-QuickStep in 3-13-42
2. Jurgen Roelandts (Bel) Lotto-Belisol at 1 sec
3. Michael Schar (Swi) BMC Racing
4. Martin Elmiger (Swi) IAM Cycling at same time
5. Guillaume Van Keirsbulck (Bel) Omega Pharma-QuickStep at 7 secs
6. Tom Boonen (Bel) Omega Pharma-QuickStep
7. Barry Markus (Ned) Belkin
8. Arnaud Demare (Fra) FDJ
9. Michael Van Staeyen (Bel) Topsport Vlaanderen
10. Marcel Sieberg (Ger) Lotto-Belisol at same time
Overall classification after stage one
1. Niki Terpstra (Ned) Omega Pharma-QuickStep
2. Jurgen Roelandts (Bel) Lotto-Belisol at 9 secs
3. Michael Schar (Swi) BMC Racing at 12 secs
4. Martin Elmiger (Swi) IAM Cycling at 17 secs
5. Alexander Kristoff (Den) Katusha at 21 secs
6. Sam Bennett (Irl) NetApp-Endura at 22 secs
7. Guillaume Van Keirsbulck (Bel) Omega Pharma-QuickStep at 23 secs
8. Tom Boonen (Bel) Omega Pharma-QuickStep
9. Barry Markus (Ned) Belkin
10. Arnaud Demare (Fra) FDJ.fr at same time