German Johannes Sickmuller secured his second consecutive victory in the National Trophy Cyclo-Cross Series at Chantry Park in Ipswich, holding off best Brit Paul Oldham (Hope Factory Racing) by 12 seconds.
The winner by 24 seconds in the last round at Derby a fortnight ago, Sickmuller’s lead was halved, but Oldham still had to settle for second spot, while Belgian Bjorn Rondelez (Beach Bikers) took third, another 56 seconds off the pace.
Oldham’s win helped him extend his lead in the overall series with second-placed rival Stuart Wearmouth (MTS Cyclesport) having to settle for seventh, while Jody Crawforth (Arctic Premier RT) was second best Brit and Oldham’s team-mate Dave Collins sixth.
PCA Ciclos Uno rider Nicola Juniper took victory in the women’s race, holding off series leader and round two winner Hannah Barnes (Candi TV-Marshall’s Pasta) by just two seconds, while in a close finish Team Corridori’s Corrine Hall was third, just five seconds off the pace.
And Yorkshire’s Chris Young, the former senior national champion, strengthened his overall lead in the series with another victory, although it took a sprint finish to hold off Yorkshire rival Noel Clough at the line.
Hargroves Cycles’ Luke Gray was top junior, 17 seconds ahead of CC Giro rival Perry Bowater, while Team Wallis CHH rider Tom Moses, from Yorkshire, was third.
National Trophy Cyclo-Cross Series (Chantry Park, Ipswich)
1. Johannes Sickmuller (Stevens RT, Germany) 57-19
2. Paul Oldham (Hope Factory Racing) at 12sec
3. Bjorn Rondelez (Beachbikers) at 1-08
4. Jody Crawforth (Arctic Premier RT) same time
5. Kris Lapere (Metz Team, Belgium) at 1-50
6. Dave Collins (Hope Factory Racing) at 1-56
7. Stuart Wearmouth (MTS Cyclesport) at 2-30
8. Rob Jebb (Wheelbase) at 2-40
9. Jamie Newall (VC Meudon) at 3-01
10. Lewis Craven (Wheelbase) at 3-09
Veterans: Chris Young (JD Cycles, Ilkley)
Women: Nicola Juniper (PCA Ciclos Uno)
Juniors: Luke Gray (Hargroves Cycles)