In the world of professional cycling, the New Year heralds the start of the training camp season. Riders jet off to sunnier climes to get some kilometres in their legs, practice their climbing and generally have a good time with teammates new and old.
But these riders and their teams are kind souls and like to keep the outside world up-to-date on what goes on under the sunny skies, tweeting pictures of their camp experience. Here are some of our favourites.
1. The caption says that everyone is happy to see Sergio Henao back from injury, but Konstantin Siutsou (left) doesn’t appear to be smiling that much. Henao’s season was ended in June when he broke his kneecap before the Tour de Suisse.
2. The Boys in Brown, AG2R La Mondiale, almost blend into the soily background on their first ride of the year in Denia, Spain. Their leader Jean-Christophe Peraud will be looking to build on his second-place in last year’s Tour de France.
3. Who knew that Tinkoff-Saxo’s marquee signing, Peter Sagan, had great bike handling skills? The shy and retiring Slovak played golf on his bike at the team training camp.
4. It’s no wonder why a lot of teams fly to Calpe for their winter training, when the scenery is as amazing as in this picture by Etixx-Quick-Step’s Mark Cavendish.
5. The UCI WorldTour’s newest team, IAM Cycling, headed to Majorca for their first get-together of the year, with Jerome Pineau taking this picture from his saddle