Benat Intxausti (Movistar) won the 2013 Tour of Beijing overall on Tuesday, finishing safely in the peloton to retain his position at the top of the general classification after the previous day’s stage win.
Slovenian sprinter Luka Mezgec (Argos-Shimano) took the bunch sprint at the end of the short and sharp final stage in Beijing city, getting the best of double stage winner Nacer Bouhanni (FDJ) and Moreno Hofland (Belkin). Bouhanni ends the race with the points classification win.
>> Save up to 31% with a magazine subscription. Enjoy the luxury of home delivery and never miss an issue <<
Intxausti finished 10 seconds ahead of Irishman Daniel Martin (Garmin-Sharp) in the overall classification, with David Lopez (Sky) in third at 13 seconds.
Damiano Caruso (Cannondale) won the King of the Mountains classification, with Romain Bardet (Ag2r) claiming the white jersey of best young rider.
Soon-to-be-retirees Juan Antonio Flecha (Vacansoleil-DCM) and Marco Pinotti (BMC Racing) both got themselves into the day’s escape group alongside Olivier Kaisen (Lotto-Belisol), Christian Meier (Orica-GreenEdge) and Manuele Boaro (Saxo-Tinkoff). The quintent only gained a minute before being reeled in with around five kilometres to go but it was a fitting farewell for Flecha and Pinotti.
End of the WorldTour
The final stage of the 2013 Tour of Beijing also marked the end of the 2013 UCI WorldTour. Joaquim Rodriguez (Katusha) tops the WorldTour ranking with Briton Chris Froome (Sky) in second and Alejandro Valverde (Movistar) in third. Dan Martin’s second place in Beijing pushes him up to sixth overall in the WorldTour.
The 2014 WorldTour kicks off in January with the Tour Down Under in Australia.
Tour of Beijing 2013, stage five: Tiananmen Square to Bird’s Nest Piazza, 117 km
1. Luka Mezgec (Slo) Argos-Shimano in 2-23-56
2. Nacer Bouhanni (Fra) FDJ
3. Moreno Hofland (Ned) Belkin
4. Matti Breschel (Den) Saxo-Tinkoff
5. Roberto Ferrari (Ita) Lampre-Merida
6. Aleksei Tsatevich (Rus) Katusha
7. Alessandro Petacchi (Ita) Omega Pharma-QuickStep
8. Rudiger Selig (Ger) Katusha
9. Yauheni Hutarovich (Blr) Ag2r
10. Bernhard Eisel (Aut) Sky all same time
Final overall classification
1. Benat Intxausti (Spa) Movistar in 19-35-46
2. Daniel Martin (Irl) Garmin-Sharp at 10 secs
3. David Lopez (Spa) Sky at 13 secs
4. Rui Costa (Por) Movistar at 18 secs
5. Romain Bardet (Fra) Ag2r at 24 secs
6. Tony Martin (Ger) Omega Pharma-QuickStep at 24 secs
7. Jan Bakelants (Bel) RadioShack-Leopard at 26 secs
8. Robert Gesink (Ned) Belkin at 26 secs
9. Ivan Basso (Ita) Cannondale at 26 secs
10. Garikoitz Bravo (Spa) Euskaltel-Euskadi at 31 secs
Luka Mezgec wins the final stage of the 2013 Tour of Beijing
Benat Intxausti wins overall, with Dan Martin in second (right) and David Lopez in third (left)